Dust Collector Issue
I recently purchased a used Oneida 3 hp dust collector.
I can start the dust collector fine the first time, but if i try to restart the collector the motor initially starts but the magnetic starter kicks it out within a second. Is this normal?
Now, I know these machines aren't meant to be turned on and off frequently, but is this a safety feature, or is it malfunctioning?

I'd hate to shut off the DC only to realize I need to make another cut and be forced to wait 10 or more minutes for the DC, or cut it with no dust collection.

The magnetic starter has an overload relay that is adjustable from 11-14 amps. The motor plate states 13 amps.
The switch was set at 11.5 A, so i dialed it up to 14, and it has not gotten better.
There are however, a few more adjustments inside the magnetic starter that I don't know the purpose. What do they do?

Should i get a new switch? Make my own switch? Live with it, as it is normal?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan
Call Oneida. It is not normal. It should start immediately even if you have just shut it down. Ken
If it starts normally sometimes but other times it just hums until the overload trips, I would check the centrifugal switch inside the motor.

Many times a cleaning and light lubrication will get it functioning again.

Mike
The middle one is manual/automatic reset selection. I don't know what the one on the right is. I just don't know much about those little controls.

And no, that's not normal, as already stated. But if it were me, I'd pop the capacitor covers off and see if either is bulging or leaking. At 3 hp, it's running on 240V power, and voltage drop is normally much less of an issue at the higher voltage, but how does it start when it does start? How long does it take? What does it do when it tries to start and trips? And how long does it take to spin down and stop when you shut it off? Extended start times can trip the thermal overload (which is one of several reasons it's there).

I would also tighten all the connections (unplugged, please).

And ditto the Oneida call.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
TDKPE said:

The middle one is manual/automatic reset selection. I don't know what the one on the right is. I just don't know much about those little controls.

And no, that's not normal, as already stated. But if it were me, I'd pop the capacitor covers off and see if either is bulging or leaking. At 3 hp, it's running on 240V power, and voltage drop is normally much less of an issue at the higher voltage, but how does it start when it does start? How long does it take? What does it do when it tries to start and trips? And how long does it take to spin down and stop when you shut it off? Extended start times can trip the thermal overload (which is one of several reasons it's there).

I would also tighten all the connections (unplugged, please).

And ditto the Oneida call.

When it does start, it goes to full speed almost immediately. That's why i dismissed the start capacitor.
I should open it up and look though.

When it trips, it sounds normal for the 1 second until the magnetic starter clicks, and shuts power off.

i haven't timed it, but it will spin what seems like forever after shutting it down. I don't sense any resistance.
Dan
Ohio Mike said:

If it starts normally sometimes but other times it just hums until the overload trips, I would check the centrifugal switch inside the motor.

Many times a cleaning and light lubrication will get it functioning again.

Mike

Where is this switch located? the back end of the motor?
Dan
Grizzly has produced a video on checking a centrifugal switch.

Grizzly YouTube channel

Mike
I really doubt it's the centrifugal switch or start capacitor. The motor starts every time, but the breaker is shutting it down.
If it was set at 11 amps when you got it, and had tripped many times, the breaker may be getting weak. The same can happen with GFIs.
Well, I called Oneida last night. (very nice by the way)
After a few minutes on the phone she emailed me a trouble shooting guide.
Here at the bottom, i find the issue:

when motor has NOT been running for any significant time
period.
Causes(s)
• Operator has attempted to restart motor without
waiting the MANDATORY 1 minute for the overload relay
to reset itself to time equals zero seconds (the time delay
required to start the motor without tripping the overload
relay in the starter.

Troubleshooting steps:
‰ Shut off collector and wait one minute before
attempting to restart the motor. If motor
restarts with no difficulty, go through this
start/stop sequence again for 2 to 3 more
cycles to verify that there is no problem with
the starter. If the start/stop cycles are
completed with no difficulty, then the source of
the problem (start/stop sequence was
attempted in too short a time period) has been
identified.

It looks like there is a 1 minute waiting period.
I'll have to do some more testing, but it works if I wait 1 minute after the motor stops spinning. Which is 2.5 min after I push the off button.
This isn't the most ideal situation, but I guess I can live with it.
Dan
Consider just leaving it run. I'll move between 3-4 tools at a time without shutting the DC off to avoid that start/stop sequence. That's hard on the motor (if they are done too quickly) and to me it's just easier to leave it run and switch the gates. Regardless, glad you got something useful from Oneida....something I was never able to do.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.