Finishing a giant ruler
My daughter has me making a thing that looks like a giant ruler, which she will use to mark her kids' growth, rather than a door frame. At this point it's an 8" by 80" ash board on which I need to paint all of the inch lines and numbers for each foot. What type of paint would be best to use for the lines and what type of finish overall? Also which one goes on first?
IMHO the numbers and lines should go on first so that they will be protected by the topcoat. Go to one of the big hobby stores and see what they recommend for the lines and numbers as well as the application method. Then I'd use Crystalac Poly-Ox, or GF HP to topcoat them. (If the paint {lines & numbers} that you use is water soluble then use GF Arm-OR-Seal.) The reason for the topcoat is two fold: first most black paints will wear easily, second you don't want the black to bleach so you need UV protection.

There are lots of different paints and techniques for making lines and numbers, that's why I recommend a good hobby/crafts store.

As always test before committing
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Topcoat might depend upon whether she wants to document the progress on the ruler, and with what medium...
What about just buying a kit that has the scale to apply to your wood? I'm sure there are others available as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

What about just buying a kit that has the scale to apply to your wood? I'm sure there are others available as well.

Sweet! Thanks!
I made a similar item, it was a giant pencil that got marked as the child grew.

Paint it with latex or acrylic paint, (matte finish)
Pencil in the lines.
Use a paint-pen to draw the lines
topcoat with waterborne poly.

http://www.michaels.com/painting/paint-pens/845162977

They are getting harder to find because of all the computer graphics that are available now, but rub-on transfer letters, numbers and tapes are still available: http://www.letraset.com/shopcontent.asp?...-transfers

Alternatively go to the auto parts store and buy pin striping tape in two thicknesses. Apply the tape and bury it under several coats of clear.

The only marker that will work in the clear is a permanent marker. Everything else will fail.

The matte finish base coat will take pencil markings well. The clear will protect it from dirt.

Here is my pencil. Only the "2" is painted in and topcoated. All the heights are added by my niece with a permanent marker.

Make sure that they mark the mounting hardware height on the back of the project so that when they relocate it to another location it will retain its accuracy.

The pencil is 6 feet tall, and the three facets allow three children's heights.

A quick way to address the problem is to buy a 60" or 72" ruler and mount it so that the base starts 24" or so off of the floor. Lee Valley carries them. A regular soft pencil will work for marking and they are already acrylic coated.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
This company sells decals to apply to the wood for that exact purpose. At $13.00 is sounds like a good deal. Bury the decal under clear poly. Use permanent markers to write the date.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/119285198/d...-decal-kit
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.