Floor Tiling Advice
I recently ripped out a 4' x 4' section of tile in hall at the front entrance of my house which I am looking to replace with new tile. My issue is the sub floor is 1x8 tongue and groove planks installed 45 degrees and I only have 3/4" of room on top of the T&G sub floor due to my front door. I know normally you would add plywood and then the backerboard and tile on top of that but that would put the height too high.

So are there any options for what I can use for underlayment to get me my 3/4" ish total height which includes the tile (1/4")? Could I just add some 1/2" backerboard over the T&G and tile on top of that?

Or maybe I cold use Ditra over 1/2 ply. Can you buy that in anything but large rolls?

BTW...The old tile was just installed on top of a 1/2" bed of cement and wire mesh. The tile came up pretty easy...
yep. Here's what I used in my kitchen.

http://www.mannington.com/Residential/Adura.aspx

I had a good subfloor so I just installed the "underfloor" substrate(basically, vinyl flooring without the patern0 and then put the 1'4" thick tiles over it. I left a space between tiles and grout it to like real stone. The advantage for us is it never gets cold on our feet. It was a breeze to install. It's applied with a contact cement type adhesive. I highly recommend that you look into it.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Ditra over 1/2" ply would definitely work. Unfortunately haven't seen it sold in anything less than 54 sqft rolls.
You can go as thin as 3/8" ply also... Ditra adds another 1/8" or so. Your 1/4" tile and thinset will likely throw you over your 3/4" height limit though.
-who?
I prefer Ditra for pretty much every tile job.

There are some online places that sell small amounts, or check Craigslist, etc.

Regarding the height of the flooring - if you are too tight on overall height with construction grade subflooring, I would consider going for a thinner, but stronger plywood. Like Baltic Birch. You need less than a full sheet.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
jamiec said:

I recently ripped out a 4' x 4' section of tile in hall at the front entrance of my house which I am looking to replace with new tile. My issue is the sub floor is 1x8 tongue and groove planks installed 45 degrees and I only have 3/4" of room on top of the T&G sub floor due to my front door. I know normally you would add plywood and then the backerboard and tile on top of that but that would put the height too high.

So are there any options for what I can use for underlayment to get me my 3/4" ish total height which includes the tile (1/4")? Could I just add some 1/2" backerboard over the T&G and tile on top of that?

Or maybe I cold use Ditra over 1/2 ply. Can you buy that in anything but large rolls?

I would use 3/4" plywood. Cut the existing sub floor out - leave about 2" of border. Glue and screw some backer blocks under the edge of the border. Glue and screw the plywood to the backer blocks. Then do what you wish.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.