Fixing a cupped iron??
I have been extremely lucky over the last few years when buying planes, but it appears that my luck has run out. Several planes I've bought recently have irons that have cupped. Is there a relatively easy way to fix this? Would hammering it on an anvil work? Thanks!!
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
How badly cupped are they Dave? I've never seen a cupped plane blade, but then again I just have my set of users and I'm not dealing. The chip breaker and cap iron don't flatten it?
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Dave, I have hammered a few pieces of steel - what has worked best for me is to support the two ends with the convex side facing up, and tap down on the middle. I did try that with an old laminated iron that was badly cupped, but it didn't work out so well because the lamination started to separate. Another option is to put in in a vise with some shims and try to gradually bend it back into shape.
I made a single iron smoother and could not get the blade to adjust for proper shavings. Finally realized that the blade was bowed, enought that the wedge was not flattening it.

I am also interested in how to get that blade flat without ruining it. I have not tried to bend it yet as I have been busy with other stuff. But I am sure that is the reason I am unable to tune that plane.
Depending on the degree of difficulty in flattening your iron, you may want to consider just replacing them on flea-bay or upgrading to a Ron Hock or Lee Valley new blade. Not exactly "sporting" if you are a serious rehabber, but may be a lot less of a hassle.
Quote:

Would hammering it on an anvil work? Thanks!!

Not on a flat surface...It "may" work if you do as Barry suggested....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I also remember plastic tubs of plane blades in a post by Gregory of Sherwood Forest. But of course you already know how to contact him, this comment is for others that might be following along.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Unless you have a lot of experience using a hammer to flatten steel, you may do more damage than good. It often works with cupped saw blades, but saw blades are much softer than plane blades. Every time you hit a plane blade, you're hardening the surface, and increasing the chance that it might chip in use if the hammering is near the edge.

I'm with the camp that says either try to find a replacement blade on eBay or order a replacement blade from any one of several sources. I like Hock. Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen also sell replacement blades.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
For the time involved to actually get it flat, well at least for my money, replacement sounds like a good plan
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
If the cupping makes the back of the blade slightly concave, that may not be a bad thing. Having some concavity on the back side makes flattening the blade a lot easier, since all you have to do is get the perimeter of the blade flat instead of the whole thing.
Hail St. Roy, Full of Grace, The Schwarz is with thee.
Blessed art thou among woodworkers, and blessed is the fruit of thy saw, dovetails.
Holy St. Roy, Master of Chisels, pray for us sharpeners now, and at the hour of planing.
Amen.
$300 is a lot of Money!
giant Cypress: Japanese tool blog