Oops! What will happen if I use a woodburner on lacquer
Well, I experimented with some lacquer on a bowl and am happy with the results. However, I forgot to sign the piece with my woodburner beforehand. Does anyone know what will happen if I try to burn through the finish?

Or would it be better to just use a permanent marker on this one?
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
It'll look ugly. I'd go with a permanent marker on this one. You could experiment on a piece of scrap and see what happens, but I don't think you'll like it. Or you could sand off the lacquer, burn in your name, then refinish the bottom with something besides lacquer.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Ok, I figured as much. Thanks for the reply. I'm just stupid enough to try it unless someone else tells me it's a bad idea.
I haven't done it myself, but I just can't imagine lacquer haven't any factor at all with woodburning, seems like it'd burn right through that thin layer.
It will melt the finish but a couple of things to remember. First, it's on the bottom. Secondly, lacquer is just about the most easily repairable finish there is. If it were me I would clean off a spot with lacquer thinner, burn, and reapply lacquer. Or, I would burn, clean it up with thinner and reapply lacquer. You could always try it on a scrap piece first.
Steve K

Jim Pilsner said:

I haven't done it myself, but I just can't imagine lacquer haven't any factor at all with woodburning, seems like it'd burn right through that thin layer.

Just based on what heat will do to other surface finishes, I believe will burn through the layer it's applied to, and discolor and/or craze the surrounding lacquer. The surrounding lacquer will then be prone to chipping and flaking.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I hear you guys about being able to repair lacquer easily, but I just really hate dealing with lacquer at all. I think I'll just leave it alone. I've gotten used to oil finishes and using something like lacquer or poly now is just painful to me. I was hoping I could burn over it, but I figured that wouldn't work so well like it does with oil finishes.
BTDT ... don't do it burns, discolors an leaves the finish sticky.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Woodshop said:

BTDT ... don't do it burns, discolors an leaves the finish sticky.

Haha! You did it so I don't have to.