Who's Using Windows 10?
George Denecke said:

...I'm not using their new browser, Edge, mainly because there is no "AdBlock" for it, it is totally supported by advertising. ....

Oh yeah...forgot about Edge. I tried that for about 2 days. I always used IE. I had Chrome on the computer that I used for Chromecasting content to the Chromecast to watch on TV. I switched to all Chrome after the upgrade. There were pages that wouldn't load on Edge. After about the 3rd one of those I saw no reason to keep trying.
I have to desktops. Older one 4 years old w7. Newer unit came with 8.1. W7 IMHO is a very stable os, and if your system is running well I would leave it alone. I run my newer PC with Windows 10 with the w7 desktop. Windows 10 includes the new edge browser which stinks. Windows 10 is a huge improvement over 8 mainly because of what they removed, not what they added, but my w 7 machine will stay as is, for when w10 acts up.
Got a DELL desktop when my old XP box blew up [think goodness for CARBONITE, et al].

It came with Win7. Had no trouble with upgrading to Win10. I concur with previous comments.

If I'm "stealing the thread," I apologize; but I'd like to ask a question here because it is Win10 related.

I also bought an HP Envy 4520 printer/copier/scanner when I found out that the mfg did not have Win10 drivers for my antique flatbed scanner.

How do you scan a multi-page document into ONE ".pdf" ??

I could not make sense out of posts made on HP forums but it appears that HP Envy 4520 users don't have this issue with Win 7 or 8.
First: I found HP help useless when mine quit working a couple of weeks ago. I went to add/remove programs and removed the software associated with the printer and added the printer via Windows.

More directly to multi-page scanning: Are there settings on the printer/scanner itself to accomplish the task?
Upgraded from Pro 7 on a HP 620. It's about 4 years old. Some of the things I really like but have noticed it being slower when some of the new utilities are running - windows search - it runs in the background. Sometimes it takes too much memory. I am going to upgrade my memory so I suspect I will pick up speed.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I have Windows 10 on my desktop and laptop, and I'm happy with it on both. Moved from Windows 7.

But.....you should google "privacy on Windows 10" and read a few of the articles you find. Microsoft doesn't charge money for Windows 10 - but they are taking your private info, and also using your computer to distribute their software - unless you know how to turn most of it off. Takes a few minutes to do it, but take a little time and protect your privacy.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Thanks all. Lots of good info. As for getting a larger .monitor, those are a bit of a challenge to travel with. I have a desktop PC as well but frankly find no problem with the screen on the laptop even when running Sketchup. Most of my questions related to win10 are related to the use of Livemail which I like and won't be supported much longer without a software upgrade, but when I try to install the download the file won't load. Typical Windows frustrations. I think I will try to resolve that however before going to win10. I haven't used Explorer in some time, although it's the only way I can sometimes log on to a hotel Wifi. Normally I use Firefox so the Explorer browser in win10 wouldn't be an issue.

More later, if I have to go to win10. Thanks all.

John
When my wife and I bought our current desktop, it came with Windows 7 and 8.0 came out about a month after we got it. Upgraded back then (used Windows 7 for about 2 or 3 months) and eventually upgraded to 8.1 and now to 10 and while each has taken getting used to, I have not had any show stoppers with Windows 10. I did just happen to have trouble finding the Control Panel last night to uninstall a program (App, I guess is the new word) and had to search for it, I could not find a way to get there directly from the start menu, but other than that, 10's got some strengths over 8/8.1 and yet we didn't really find 8/8.1 to be a bad OS. The only real problem with 8/8.1 was that it could not decide if it wanted to be a desktop OS or a mobile OS and you had to switch back and forth between them to get things done. Oh, and Windows Media Player in Windows 7 was very solid, powerful and easy to use while WMP in Windows 8 was a stripped down shell of its previous version self, forcing me migrate to a third party program to get the job of ripping my CD's and organizing my music done (something I was doing a lot of back then). Windows 10 seems to have sorted that all out (with the exception of WMP, as I am now using the third party app and don't need it, not even sure if it was included with Win 10) and seems to have blended some of Windows 7 with Windows 8 into a good desktop OS. Not perfect, as I am finding there are some Win 8/8.1 holdovers that seem to be out of place (I noticed some responses indicated that it essentially looks like Windows 7, perhaps because I was upgrading from 8.1, but some of the 8.1 interfaces have remained, specifically, when clicking on the start icon in the lower left corner, the menu that comes up has the Windows 8/8.1 "mobile" interface in miniature along the right hand side).

As far as lack of Internet Explorer, haven't been using that since they had security issues something like 10 years back. Been using Firefox almost exclusively since then and am very happy with that browser. Have not used Chrome on my desktop, but have played with it on my Android tablet and find no real difference between it and Firefox (also have FF on same tablet, so I mean it compares well with both desktop and mobile versions), since we're very familiar with FF and Chrome does not appear to add much, if anything, I really have not felt compelled to add Chrome to the desktop.

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
Thanks Paul. I finally figured out why the software update needed to keep using Live Mail on Win7 wasn't working. The patch was for the 2012 version of Live Mail and it turns out I had the 2011 version on my PC. So after I upgraded to the 2012 version the patch loaded fine and I should be OK to continue using Live Mail in the foreseeable future.

I tried Chrome a few years ago and found nothing to like about it. It was incredibly slow on whatever I was using at the time, and had several other annoyances that I have since forgotten. I went to Firefox at least 5 years ago and have been very happy with it, except, as I noted above, when it will not load because it thinks some hotel's wifi is a security risk. But if I first connect to the wifi with Internet Explorer then Firefox will load OK and will continue to run OK even if I then close IE. Strange but it works.

I'm gong to stick with Win7 until the end of the free upgrade period.

John
pprobus said:

When my wife and I bought our current desktop, it came with Windows 7 and 8.0 came out about a month after we got it. Upgraded back then (used Windows 7 for about 2 or 3 months) and eventually upgraded to 8.1 and now to 10 and while each has taken getting used to, I have not had any show stoppers with Windows 10. I did just happen to have trouble finding the Control Panel last night to uninstall a program (App, I guess is the new word) and had to search for it, I could not find a way to get there directly from the start menu, but other than that, 10's got some strengths over 8/8.1 and yet we didn't really find 8/8.1 to be a bad OS. <snip>

Try Right Clicking on the windows menu button in the bottom left corner - direct access to a bunch of system things including the app manager.