Any order to test a circular saw?
I have an older Hilti and don't like how it's cutting. Tried two blades I have. Beyond changing the blade, what's the best way to test the saw for runout? I assume I'd have to disassemble to be able to turn the shaft to use a test indicator on the arbor.

Don't think can do much more than a digital caliper to test the tracK groove to blade alignment.

Thanks,
Rich
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
See if the blade has play when pushing and pulling the rim. If their is a lot of play ,probably the bearings are shot.I imagine it would not be feasible to replace the bearings in a hand held circular saw.
mike
If there is play in the shaft - I'd go ahead and take it apart and see how easy/hard it would be to replace the bearings - can't do any more damage and you might be able to fix it. Some times the bearings are pressed on so that could be an issue.

If that's the case you'll have to decide to have someone take the bearings off or go buy your own mini press.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I would start simpler. Are the 2 blades worth a darn? If they are toast, don't expect good results. Wiggling the blade is pretty cheap and easy too. Just make sure it's unplugged. Apologies if that last is common sense. In a room of 100 people a few of them wouldn't consider that.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks all. Have an arbor press and a hydraulic too so no problem changing bearings. The saw is a 267E so worth fixing.

Rich
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
Start by looking for burrs and crud on the mounting flange and nut. Then try a new good quality blade.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.