Rubber mallet vs dead low hammer
(09-23-2019, 06:25 AM)WxMan Wrote: Me, too.  The orange dead blow is my go-to beater.  Must be an Iowa thing.

I have both the 1 lb orange dead blow and a rubber mallet.  Never use the rubber mallet.

I have been making a concerted effort to remember that I turned a round mallet from a big chunk of apple wood last year to whack chisels with.

I have a rubber mallet around here somewhere.  I stopped using it because it made marks on my wood.  I think I removed it from the drawer because it made the drawer hard to close, but not sure where I put it.

I bought a metal lathe and took my orange hammer out to use it there.  Yep, grease and oil all over the hammer - so I bought a black hammer for the wood shop.  I just couldn't get used to using the black hammer in the wood shop, so I bought another orange hammer for the metal lathe and brought my original orange hammer back into the wood shop.  Now my drawer is crowded again - because I have an orange hammer in there as well as a black hammer (which I rarely use in the wood shop).

Yea, I know.  Why is my life so difficult?

Rolleyes
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(09-23-2019, 07:51 AM)6270_Productions Wrote: I have a rubber mallet around here somewhere.  I stopped using it because it made marks on my wood.  I think I removed it from the drawer because it made the drawer hard to close, but not sure where I put it.

I bought a metal lathe and took my orange hammer out to use it there.  Yep, grease and oil all over the hammer - so I bought a black hammer for the wood shop.  I just couldn't get used to using the black hammer in the wood shop, so I bought another orange hammer for the metal lathe and brought my original orange hammer back into the wood shop.  Now my drawer is crowded again - because I have an orange hammer in there as well as a black hammer (which I rarely use in the wood shop).

Yea, I know.  Why is my life so difficult?

Rolleyes
I don't have a rubber mallet or a dead blow hammer...I do have a large rawhide mallet for woodwork, steel hammers out the wazoo and both a copper and a lead hammer for my metalworking machines...Machinists have used lead hammers for more than 100 years to center stock in their lathes.....One can never have too many hammers.
Crazy  
Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGMOB2K78iM
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have a rubber mallet, but it's somewhere in the shop covered with dust . . . . replaced by wood and dead blow long ago . . . .
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-23-2019, 08:32 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...........................
I don't have a rubber mallet or a dead blow hammer...I do have a large rawhide mallet for woodwork, steel hammers out the wazoo and both a copper and a lead hammer for my metalworking machines...Machinists have used lead hammers for more than 100 years to center stock in their lathes.....One can never have too many hammers.
Crazy  
Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGMOB2K78iM

". . . never have too many hammers."

Agreed - but you gotta get bigger drawers.

Winkgrin

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(09-23-2019, 09:30 AM)6270_Productions Wrote: ". . . never have too many hammers."

Agreed - but you gotta get bigger drawers.

Winkgrin
I'm not touching that...........
Raised
No
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-23-2019, 01:52 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ....................
I'm not touching that...........
Raised  
No  
Winkgrin

Laugh

For bench work and something that doesn't get in the way, I made what I call a hand knocker. An old rusty ball hitch with compressed leather pads on one end. If a metal surface is fine, you just turn it around and use as a hammer- works on nails too.

[Image: kYdvMIY.jpg]

I glue the leather and use high pressure in the press to compress it.
Once I tried using a rubber mallet for joint assembly. Once.

It just bounced right off. And it lleft marks on the wood.

Now I keep it around for occasional auto repair jobs--not for woodworking.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I have 20+ hammers. Pick hammer, chip hammer, square/round body hammer, rubber one, soft plastic end hammers, tack hammers, pin hammer, claw and frame hammers, small and big ball peen hammers, wooden hammers/mallets, arm & hammer, sledge hammer. Many as old as I am.

Hardly use most of them, but boy do they look impressive hanging up in the shop.