New Door, New Bed, New Daughter
I've posted very little here recently, but then I did almost no woodworking in August and September. Then, in mid-October, everything changed.

My wife and I adopted a daughter--not a little kid, but a college student--and I had to put my woodworking into high gear in order to get everything ready for her to move in.

Her room needed a door. There had been a half-door there before, so I just built the other half to match.

She needed a proper bed, but her room is tiny, so the only option was a lofted bed that could accommodate a dresser underneath.

It's all 2X6s from the home center, and as much hand-tool work as I could manage. Actually, with workpieces that long, hand tools were really about the only workable option for some operations. I'm getting better at my mortises and tenons, especially. I think about 5 out of every 6 joints is going together perfectly off the saw.

There have been a bunch of other little projects, too--new lighting in the room, trim work, painting, and the like. Fortunately my new daughter likes to paint!

So that's what I've been up to for the last two months. The whole story, plus a few build-along pictures, is here on my blog.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Good work, as always, and good on ya for seeing and grabbing the opportunity to make someone's life better!

David
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Congratulations!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Nice DTs on the bed frame too.

So tell us more about the College Lassie coming to stay for a while. Friend of the family or Family?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Way cool Dude & family!!!

I love the story, what little there was of it. You, your wife and children are to be congratulated on the extent of, not only your skills, but the depth of your hearts. Well Done!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Bibliophile 13 said:

I've posted very little here recently, but then I did almost no woodworking in August and September. Then, in mid-October, everything changed.

My wife and I adopted a daughter--not a little kid, but a college student--and I had to put my woodworking into high gear in order to get everything ready for her to move in. [/url]

Hello Steve;

Excellent news... and excellent project! Your family has excelled for years in raising girls, and this is a logical extension of that, that we never thought of ourselves...

I'm gonna send this one over to Carol.... she may have something to say too, you just never know.

Keep up the good work!
Skip

I notice her room is right next to the shop. Can we look forward to pictures of your new daughter working with you in the shop?

Good on you. That age is often more difficult to get through than people realize, and it'll be good for her to have a loving family around her.
Steve,

Congratulations on the addition to your family. Not many families would have be willing to take that on and it says something about who you are.

Steve
Nice work! Did you really adopt her, or is this a temporary thing? Either way, you and your family are very generous and I trust your new resident will be blessed.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Congratulations! The pictures on your blog show she fits in well already.

From what I've seen you post about your family, she has found a great place to be. I hope you are just as lucky to have her in your life.