New Door, New Bed, New Daughter
Too cool for words. Good on you and your family.

Frank S in IA
Her wanting to leave tool marks and layout lines--that speaks volumes. It shows how much she appreciates what you have done for her. She will show them to her grandchildren as she tells the story. My screen is getting blurry.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Thanks, folks!

Yes, we did do a legal adoption, so she's our daughter forever. The story is too long (and delicate) to relate here at length, but suffice to say, she had a difficult childhood, and my wife and I are trying to help her deal with some of the long-term fallout from it. We're by no means experts, but we've learned a LOT over the last few months.

But back to woodworking. She's showed some interest in the hand tools. I'm teaching her to use a handsaw, and she was messing around with a spokeshave and a bit of walnut the other day. I expect good things from her soon.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
The two daughters you pictured in your blog look so much like each other that it's clear she always belonged in your family; it just took a while for her to arrive.

The good news is all those diapers you didn't have to change!
Bill_Houghton said:

The two daughters you pictured in your blog look so much like each other that it's clear she always belonged in your family; it just took a while for her to arrive.

Thanks for saying that, Bill. We feel the same way! I showed her what you said, and you absolutely made her day.

Thanks!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I read the story first on your blog, Steve. That’s really a terrific story, and a great thing that you did.
Hail St. Roy, Full of Grace, The Schwarz is with thee.
Blessed art thou among woodworkers, and blessed is the fruit of thy saw, dovetails.
Holy St. Roy, Master of Chisels, pray for us sharpeners now, and at the hour of planing.
Amen.
$300 is a lot of Money!
giant Cypress: Japanese tool blog
Wilbur Pan said:

I read the story first on your blog, Steve. That’s really a terrific story, and a great thing that you did.

+ more than I can type.

Congratulations on the addition to your family!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
chris