earlex 5500
My wife bought this for me my xmas present. what else should I get. It came with both needles. Cleaners/thinners?
The cleaners & thinners will depend on what you're spraying. I've sprayed Acrylic paint (water), shellac (DNA or household ammonia) & lacquer (lacquer thinner).

One thing I did though is purchase a better air filter for it. If you look at the bottom of the unit, you'll see a round nearly useless spongy filter. Remember that the air that is coming through the nozzle is being filtered through that - not very good IMHO. I bought a flat HEPA filter that is about 1" x 5" x 10" (or there-a-bouts) at the BORG and taped it over the hole. I also put it on a little dolly that I got at Harbor Freight. Works great and the air is clean.

HTH

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I agree with LIL. Waterborne finishes generally do not need thinning. You should have gotten a viscosity cup if not get one. Paint filters. For shellac most alcohols will work for dissolving the shellac (I usually use a 1# coat from these guys) . Household ammonia will clean up shellac fast and is cheaper than alcohol.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
David,

Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive gun cleaning kit that many like. It would be a nice cheap addition to have--especially if you're new to spray equipment and maintenance.

I have the 5500 as well and it's a good value, IMO. There are many forum threads on the 5500 so I'm sure you've done some reading on it. I primarily use mine for finishing small projects and shooting dyes. I've also used it with shellac.

It is a wonderful little sprayer for water based or solvent based dye application--like Transtint. Before my Earlex, I applied dye by hand and the difference is night and day with how even and easy it is to apply. i use the 1.4 mm nozzle for dye and spit coats of shellac. The ease and predictability of using dyes with your projects is a great tool to have.

I've shot solvent based lacquer with it and I did have to thin it down 10% to get decent results. My airless does a better job with lacquer but the Earlex can still provide an acceptable finish with much less clean up and material waste.

A good friend shoots Ben Moore Advance waterborne/alkyd enamel with the Earlex and he gets excellent results. He thins the Advance at 10%. Hope this helps. Enjoy the sprayer.

Before, and as you do more things with your 5500 you have a wealth of information available on You Tube. Earlex has their own channel, found here You can look at titles, versus what you need to know, and see a video explanation. I found it quite helpful.

Good luck, they are quite versatile
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW