Painting Christmas ornaments?
What kind/brand of paint do u use to paint your turned ornaments? I'm cutting groves and want to highlight the groves with green and red. Sealing with shellac first then cutting groves. Thanks...Bill
Bill

I have not made an ornament yet but I am thinking you need to burn first and then seal it which is want I do. Then I add dyes or other colorants. That way the color will not go where I do not want it.

I am very sure there are other ways tho.

I am looking forward to seeing what you make buddy.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I sand, prime, and spray them silver enamel then brush with craft paints.When dry I clear coat them with acrylic.
Well shama lamma ding dong to you too......
I would think most any acrylic craft paint would work well. The "plaid" brand is available at Walmart and has worked well for me. Another alternative might be some of the airbrush paints like createx or wicked. There are some brilliant colors available designed for airbrushing. I haven't tried it but I see no reason why they couldn't be brushed.
Steve K

Would it be possible to use permanent markers while spinning on the lathe like Yak does to tops? That way some grain would still show through. Br a lot easier to apply to.
I am using acrylic paint from Michels - available in small bottles for $1.99 - $3.99 depending on color. It cleans up with water. It's available in primary colors, but you can mix for others and with white to vary the shade. I put a small dap on a sheet of plastic to paint a small area or blend a color. After the left over paint is dry, you can scrape it off with razor blade. Mix a larger quantity in a clean yogurt cup. I have used rattle can poly over it with good results.
Sharpie makes paint pens in many colors. You can buy water base or oil base paint pens and they are available in different tip sizes. These are different than their permanent markers.
Brian
Shop power by Powermatic, Shopsmith, Delta & Bosch.
I'm thinking paint pens while the piece is still on the lathe at its lowest speed to get an even color. Good Luck
Angus said:

Would it be possible to use permanent markers while spinning on the lathe like Yak does to tops? That way some grain would still show through. Br a lot easier to apply to.

I have used sharpie markers on a couple of pens I have made and they work ok. I spray them with clear after.
ASE Master Auto and Medium/Heavy Truck Technician, Service writer and parts consultant.
Master Emergency Vehicle Technician-Police Vehicles