Toolkit for a 4-year-old?
I'm trying to put together a small toolkit for my 4-year-old daughter for Christmas (I know, I know, I'm always late...)

Been scratching my head trying to figure out what should go in it. I want to give her real tools - she can easily sink a 6d nail with a hammer and bore a hole with a brace and bit. She would not be happy with toys.

Here's a list I have so far. Any of you with more experience on the parenting front have any more suggestions to add? I would put a brace on the list but all of mine are 10" swing which is really a bit too big for her.

• Small hammer
  • Stanley 102 block plane
  • Spokeshave
  • Screwdrivers
  • Pliers
  • Tape Measure
  • Try square
  • Pencils
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
So freakin'
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Yankee push drill
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
John Clifford said:

Yankee push drill

Oh! That's a good one. They're so cool anyway she'd love it. I have a small one that I bought at Liberty Tool last summer, but I don't have any bits for it. Anyone here have spares that they'd sell for a reasonable price? Just a couple would be fine.
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

The timing of you post is getting me. I am making my 4 yr olds first bench this weekend. He uses a block plane, egg beater and hammer....plus he is quite adept at using a cordless drill/driver. We have disassembled furniture to show for it...
Maybe a file/rasp? And a tool apron/pouch...
Great idea and a great start...
brianwelch said:

Oh, her grandmother like to sew. Maybe I could ask her to make a shop apron. My wife is 41 weeks pregnant so I know better than to ask her

Scott W said:

The timing of you post is getting me. I am making my 4 yr olds first bench this weekend.

Awesome! I would build a bench for my daughter, but I'd have nowhere to put it in my 12x16 workshop

JustinTyson said:

[blockquote]brianwelch said:

Oh, her grandmother like to sew. Maybe I could ask her to make a shop apron. My wife is 41 weeks pregnant so I know better than to ask her

[/blockquote]

awesome
Exactly what I did for the granddaughters - real and capable tools. Broke down and got the eight year old a battery drill last year after she pinched her fingers once too many on the MF eggbeater.

One of her favorite tools is her spokeshave, but I can't convince her that the Japanese saws are better than the push variety. The six year old loves her rasps.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.