How Is This Done?
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/539235755360818888/

I admit, I do flat work and know nothing about turning. I've looked at this cup/glass for a while and I am stumped as to how it was done. I could see turning the bowl but how are the "branches and stem" done?

Little help for the ignorant...
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
gMike said:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/539235755360818888/

I admit, I do flat work and know nothing about turning. I've looked at this cup/glass for a while and I am stumped as to how it was done. I could see turning the bowl but how are the "branches and stem" done?

Little help for the ignorant...

I would guess the "tree" was turned to that shape and then whatever the artist didn't want was carved or sawn away
Steve K

Yea, most likely, turn the bowl first. Turn a chalice type shape to fit the bowl second. Carve. More work in the carving than in the turning.

robo hippy
robo hippy said:

Yea, most likely, turn the bowl first. Turn a chalice type shape to fit the bowl second. Carve. More work in the carving than in the turning.

robo hippy

+1

On all the new kinds of turnings most of them now are over 50% carving.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
My first thought was turn the bowl first, but the dude has some others that are all turned from one piece. I think he turned that from one piece, carved the bowl, and stained or burned the tree. Here's a bunch of this others: Link