Shelburne Museum, Vemont
So I'm watching this week's free NYW 'sode, and Norm is building a pencil post bed based on one he saw at Shlburne Farms up in Vermont. Has anyone ever been? I used to go every year as a kid, either field trips with school, or family trips with my grandparents. Now that I'm an adult (supposedly!) and woodworker, I bet I would appreciate it all over again! If anyone is planning a trip to the great state of Vermont anytime soon, I highly recommend it.
Benny

I've been a couple of times, but a very long time ago. As you said, I'm sure I'd look at it differently now that I'm a woodworker. I was at
Hancock Shaker Village in NW Mass. about 5 or 6 years ago. That's another great place to visit if you are a woodworker and especially if you like Shaker.

John
I went about 10 years ago, and it was well worth the trip. Lots of cool stuff to see.

I like the old tool display, and there was a special shaker furniture exhibit that was great, but I wish it had more furniture.

The duck decoy collection was fantastic.

I would go back again, but allow myself more time to look at all the exhibits. IIRC, I only had 2-3 hours, and that was not enough.

Great museum. Four stars!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
If I'm thinking of the correct place, they have a GREAT hand tool collection, mostly for woodworking.
We were at Shelburne a year or two ago and the hand tool collection was closed for restoration or something. Still a very fun place.
At hankock Shaker village this year on a weekday, had the place to ourselves. Went into the wood/machine shop and a curator walked by and asked "would you like to use the tools?" "Yes I would!" Got to turn on the water powered belt drive system and use the bandsaw and some other industrial size 100-150 year old tools. If I can find them, I think the wife took some pics with the DSLR.
Saratoga, NY
I was at the museum about 15 yrs ago...Antother great little Museum is in the southern part of Vt...The town of Windsor...Well worth seeing IMO...They made firearms there back in the early 1800's....

http://www.americanprecision.org/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

jteneyck said:

I've been a couple of times, but a very long time ago. As you said, I'm sure I'd look at it differently now that I'm a woodworker. I was at
Hancock Shaker Village in NW Mass. about 5 or 6 years ago. That's another great place to visit if you are a woodworker and especially if you like Shaker.

John

If we take the ferry from Long Island to CT to go to my parents in VT, we go right thru western MA! I've been wanting to stop there. Once my son gets old enough to handle that kind of stop, I'm planning on it for sure! These days we just want to get to the end of the trip...
Benny

Timberwolf said:

I was at the museum about 15 yrs ago...Antother great little Museum is in the southern part of Vt...The town of Windsor...Well worth seeing IMO...They made firearms there back in the early 1800's....

Thanks for the link! I've never been there, and Windsor is not far from my parents. Again, when the kids get older....
Benny

Timberwolf said:

Agreed. Little known but I found it very interesting. I guess its appeal is somewhat limited but to those with an interest in things mechanical it's excellent.
+1 for a visit to the Shelburne. I was there about 20yrs ago and loved it. A paradise for woodworkers ! The story of moving the Ticonderoga is amazing.
Cheers

Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National Park
www.rue-darnet.fr