A little Disston D-8 saved from the scrap pile
  Re: (...)
Another one saved to work again. A couple of weeks ago, a friend gave me a Disston D-8. This cute little 1940s vintage saw has a 20 inch plate and 10 tpi crosscut teeth. The beech handle is nearly perfect.

Unfortunately, the plate had been badly abused. It had a nice "C" curve and several light kinks. Having nothing to lose, I started working on the kinks with hammer and anvil. Some light and heavy taps with the hammer to shrink the metal smoothed out the worst bends. A few more well aimed blows straightened out the bow.

Satisfied with the results, I jointed, set, and sharpened the teeth which were in good condition. Other than a few hammer marks, it is hard to tell that this saw might have been relegated to the scrap pile. I think this one is going in my till.

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
  Re: A little Disston D-8 saved from the scrap pile by enjuneer (Another one saved to...)
Nice save.

Re: Re: A little Disston D-8 saved from the scrap pile by highpi ( Nice save. [img]/ss...)
Yep, very nice and better than my recent mini-D8 save posted a couple days ago!
Chris
  Re: A little Disston D-8 saved from the scrap pile by enjuneer (Another one saved to...)
If it cuts straight, it was worth the effort to save!

I've never liked those blocky handles, though. But being that you're a woodworker, there's nothing stopping you from taking some rasps and files to that handle and reshaping it to be more comfortable. I've seen a couple really nice saw handles come out of ugly ones like that.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop