A little Disston D-8 saved from the scrap pile
Another one saved to work again. A couple of weeks ago, a friend gave me a Disston D-8. This cute little 1940s vintage saw has a 20 inch plate and 10 tpi crosscut teeth. The beech handle is nearly perfect.

Unfortunately, the plate had been badly abused. It had a nice "C" curve and several light kinks. Having nothing to lose, I started working on the kinks with hammer and anvil. Some light and heavy taps with the hammer to shrink the metal smoothed out the worst bends. A few more well aimed blows straightened out the bow.

Satisfied with the results, I jointed, set, and sharpened the teeth which were in good condition. Other than a few hammer marks, it is hard to tell that this saw might have been relegated to the scrap pile. I think this one is going in my till.

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Nice save.
Yep, very nice and better than my recent mini-D8 save posted a couple days ago!
Chris
If it cuts straight, it was worth the effort to save!

I've never liked those blocky handles, though. But being that you're a woodworker, there's nothing stopping you from taking some rasps and files to that handle and reshaping it to be more comfortable. I've seen a couple really nice saw handles come out of ugly ones like that.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop