My gas dryer quit heating
what is the best way to troubleshoot this? I figure the first thing is to see if the vent is clogged and the sensor tripped, but what is the next thing to check?
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Remove the cover and look for a fitting that resembles a childs top.
Might be about 2+ " in diameter and 1-1/2" high.Turn the gas ***** off at the machine. Remove the lid portion , you may have to remove the top to get to the screws that hold the lid on.Inside their are felt filter and a spring.Clean it up with compressed air or vacuum any dust out.
Replace everything ,turn gas on and see if the dryer heats now.
When our dryer lost heat i did this until we moved and bought a new one. Usually 6 months or more between cleaning the filters.This dryer was 20+ years old when we got it with the house.
If this fix works and your dryer is not real old I would buy a new unit and replace when the dryer stops heating again.
mike
Most failures are lack of proper cleaning/ maintenance.
I know because I used to clean mine every year and I got lazy (Or busy) and just quit doing it and ours has quit because of lint clogs.
It pays to clean them out- I found over 3 bucks worth of change the last time. Paid for 1/10000th on a new car.
You probably blew the thermal fuse. Chech for that and clean out the vent pipe
Matt
Did you remember to buy gas?

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
A few years ago my dryer acted the same. I googled the model and found there was a part that commonly fails. I cant remember what they are called but they are in the gas valve mechanism... sorta like a small solenoid. I called my local appliance parts store and asked them what is the most common part needing replaced for my model that has this symptom and went and bought this part. It did fix the problem and only took a few minutes to replace.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Check to make sure the ignitor glows when you push the start switch. If the ignitor is burned out the gas valve won't open. Also, there's a sensor opposite the ignitor that "sees" if the ignitor is blowing and if that is dirty or blocked the gas valve won't open either.

I had a broken ignitor after about 20 years. Replacement was easy and the drier is still running - after 35 years. Sears made a few things well, or whomever made it for them did.

John
This has happened to me on several occasions, in several ways...First 2 times it was solenoids, inexpensive and easy fix...Next time, different dryer, it was the gas valve itself. Not as easy, not as cheap...There is no shortage of useful information about appliance repairs... Most difficult part can be dis-assembling the dryer to get to the faulty part
Good luck...
Splinter Puller said:

A few years ago my dryer acted the same. I googled the model and found there was a part that commonly fails. I cant remember what they are called but they are in the gas valve mechanism... sorta like a small solenoid. I called my local appliance parts store and asked them what is the most common part needing replaced for my model that has this symptom and went and bought this part. It did fix the problem and only took a few minutes to replace.

Gas solenoid,thats what I tried to describe.Also could be as simple as clogged lint filter that someone else mentioned.
mike
3 typical causes for no heating.

1. Exhaust vent clogged or partial clogged. Clean that first.

2. Ignitor not working. Some dryers you can open the front and watch the gas ignite. Some have peep holes. If you take it out you have to check breaks. You can also use a meter to check resistance. If it's open then it's bad. You would have to find the actual resistance on Google.

3. Gas solenoid. This can be it if you are getting a little heat and the vent has been cleaned. What happens is the valves don't completely open. You get some heat but not enough.

Those are the things I check first. For the last 3 I have fixed have been the solenoid. They are cheap and very easy to replace.

The ignitor and solenoids are cheap - probably $75 total. Replace them both and it should take care of the problem. I can be other things - like the control board but not likely.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.