Chart to convert microns to grit
From what little I see posted (snippets here and there) there is not consistency between converting micron measurements (like with lapping film) to a "normal" grit equivalent. I thought I had a handle on it until I ran into a chart on "rocksandgems" (I think it was) which had totally different numbers from woodworking sites. Is there a standard chart for woodworking that shows various micron designations and the "grit" (True Grit, if you're John Wayne) equivalent? Thanks. john
I do, therefor I am.
http://www.reade.com/resources/particle-...sion-chart
Sure that's for ww'ing?
I have a chart that shows 1200 grit = 15 microns.
Here
rwe2156 said:

Sure that's for ww'ing?
I have a chart that shows 1200 grit = 15 microns.
Here

Here is what Lee Valley shows

***The 15 micron (approx. 1000x) removes steel quite quickly; the 5 micron (approx. 2500x) refines the edge to usable keenness; and the 0.5 micron (approx. 9000x) gives it a mirror finish.***

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.as...&cat=1,43072

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
"Grit" has different meanings according to the different standards used when classifying the "grit". For sandpaper, there are two common grit classifications: CAMI and FEPA. FEPA grits are preceded by the letter "P". Waterstone and diamond hone grits are somewhat of a hit and miss thing. It's not clear to me that manufacturers of waterstones adhere to any kind of standard when classifying their stones. That's why it's important to determine what the grit size is in a waterstone. The synthetic stones usually will advertise their grit size. For example, a P2000 grit (FEPA) sandpaper is the equivalent to a CAMI 1000 grit paper, which is roughly equivalent to a 1000 grit waterstone.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill