Ah-Ha! moment. Poor man's bevel sanding rig
So last night I was cutting some legs for a child's stool. I wanted to sand a slight bevel into the bottom of each one, but having them be fairly uniform is important, at least to save me some time once I mount the legs. I don't have a disc sander, but I have a Rigid bench top belt/spindle job which I use a lot. Holding the piece at an approximate 45 degrees is always an option, but it's tough to get it consistent. And clamping a piece of wood is tough along that edge of the sander's table.

Then, out of the corner of my eye I spotted the miter gauge for my band saw. Woefully inadequate and small for most jobs, it drops right into the slot on the sander. I should have stepped back a bit to take this pic, the board is clamped on the left side and just acts as a stop. I adjusted it so it's sanding just ahead of the flat support plate behind the belt, so it softens the bevel just a tad. It's still tough to get a super consistent bevel, since I can't rotate my wrist a full 360 degrees, but having the end of the work piece hang off the table helps actually.

It's just one of those "use what you have at hand" moments that I've come to appreciate when people post here, so I thought I'd pass it along!

Benny

Up next, I need a poor man's vertical drilling rig for the hanger bolts!
Benny

I have that sander and probably a miter gauge that will fit. Thanks for the tip. There's many times I wish I had done that.
Quote:

It's still tough to get a super consistent bevel, since I can't rotate my wrist a full 360 degrees, but having the end of the work piece hang off the table helps actually.

Add a stop to the miter gauge or the table so the work can only feed in so far then stop cutting.

instant perfect bevel

Good idea with the miter gauge as well.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thanks!! Great idea.
Benny

bennybmn said:

Up next, I need a poor man's vertical drilling rig for the hanger bolts!

Find a ShopSmith. I paid $50 for mine. Makes that job easy.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I'd need to do a bump-out in my garage to fit it
Benny

JGrout said:

Add a stop to the miter gauge or the table so the work can only feed in so far then stop cutting.

instant perfect bevel

Good idea with the miter gauge as well.

Joe

Per your suggestion, I made a little stop. I also made a quick and dirty vertical drilling jig to get a couple of good pilot holes for brass screws in the end of the thin strip, so I used it on the hanger bolts for the stool legs too.

In case anyone is wondering, I positioned it deliberately right behind the roller, but in front of the flat support plate of the belt. That gives the bevel a bit of a curve, softens it some. It also allows the flat end of the dowel to hang off the table, so I can spin it by hand.

Benny