rusting chisels
I have a set of Stanley chisels that I got from my dad when he passed and are the only tools that rust in my basement shop and was wondering why? I have tried many different ways to stop this or even slow it down ,but to no avail.Also the plastic handles are shattering on the lower part of the handle.I am guessing that they are from the 40s.Stan
They are high carbon steel with no stainless steel in them is why they're rusting.
Get a green scrubby & some Simple Green cleaner to de-rust them, then coat lightly with 3 in 1 oil.
Turn some new wood handles for them & you're good to go.
What have you done to try and stop the rust?

carl
How are they stored? Many tools in basement will rust due to high humidity and fluctuating temps. Tools get cold and water condenses on them. If it is not too damp, a chisel roll could help insulate them. Or a wooden tool box.

I keep my chisels in a tool roll inside a plastic tool box that is in an unheated garage. They stay rust free.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
One of the things I tried and to no avail was to store in a wooden machinists tool box I made and added a lot of those water absorbing bags.
Apply Johnson's Paste Wax.
Many ways to prevent rust, but you gotta eliminate the existing rust to best prevent further rusting. Green scotchbrite pad and simple green will work. 3-1 one oil and scouring will work. Soak in vinegar for about 30 min to 1 hour (depends on how much rust), followed by scouring. Evapo-Rust will work, but it usually leaves behind a dull finish that needs to be polished off. Once the rust is removed, paste wax, Boeshield, 3-1, Camelia oil, or mutton tallow can be used to prevent further rusting. The mutton tallow lasts for a very long time. Johnson's Paste Wax is probably the least expensive solution. Wipe on, work it in, then wipe off the excess.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
+1 on previous advice for de-rusting. For storage, I wipe off my steel tools with a mixture of Boeshield and Butchers Wax. You can buy plastic bags that emit a corrosion preventive. Many tool sellers ship their products in them. Silica gel bags get saturated eventually. You can buy larger quantities and periodically bake the water out of them. Check with Lee Valley/Veritas or Rockler.

Doug
I would clean them off, and store them upstairs.
My suggestion is soak in EvapoRust and use wire brush on bench grinder or drill. Then coat with WD40 and store in oil soaked rags.

Are you planning on using these chisels or just keeping for memorabilia?