What's with all the recycled threads?
This forum has become jumbled with Zombie threads.

Is it possible to show the first date of the thread?
There were a dozen resurrected this week and they go back years.

If a post is good enough to live forever, shouldn't it be enshrined as a 'sticky' or FAQ ?
Mods have enough to do, and they are not librarians. I bump a few from time to time that I feel are worthy.

I get it, clearly the value of a thread is in they eye of the beholder, but most that are bumped are worth a re-read and are lost to history once a year has past, so bumps save them for those searching for knowledge about a topic.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If I am correct, stickys are not allowed on this forum for member postings and all threads expire one year from the last posting.

The incentive to revive these posts is that these were popular or particularly unique threads and this forum lately has far too few new posts of that quality content.
Thanks to you and TobyC, Admiral and others who bump older threads.

For those who question the re-posting of those threads, can easily skip over them. Keep in mind, those who contribute to the threads that some people deem worthy of re-posting, spent a considerable amount of their time making the thread worthy.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
The first date of the thread is on the first post at the top.

Most forums are programmed to show what was last updated. It is a speedy way to wade through all of the content and show what you haven't read yet. It saves time.

Some things roll off and Cian Perez has a website of some Woodnet content of what's he deems important. It is under the Woodworking:
*** WOODWORKING HOW-TOs
*****Fossil-Fuel-Friendly or Nuclear Powered
WoodTinker
MarvW said:

Thanks to you and TobyC, Admiral and others who bump older threads.

+1

It is a shame to lose some of the good stuff. I appreciate the users who remember where the content is and keep it alive.
Martin S is a great one for doing this stuff. I also add several to my Favorites because it has helped me so much and maybe other new people would also like to see it also.

Another reason I do it is to refresh my mind if I have not done it yet either.

Like the others have said the posts only last for a year, but if all the ones people liked were Stickyed then there would be hundreds and anything new would have to be gone to second pages just to see them.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The bumps keep valuable threads from expiring. Very worthy, IMO. While an individual can archive a thread by saving the thread for himself, newbies to WoodNet wouldn't necessarily have that opportunity. Some of those threads contain content from members that have either passed away or who are no longer members of WoodNet. Also, there are many of those bumped threads that have content that answers questions that seem to crop up every year or so. Saves time if we can resurrect a thread rather than rehashing the same stuff.

I don't mind them. I just check the first post's date, and that's a good indication of whether the post has been bumped.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I try to check my saved threads once a month, and then I bump the ones that are getting ready to expire.

I don't bump them all.

I rarely bump them more than twice. I try to be selective. I try to bump the "really good" or "really informative" threads.

If you made me WN king for a day, I would add the server capacity so threads would never expire. Well, except the basement.

I have learned to save threads by "exporting to PDF", but some threads are worth saving, like the recent tool storage thread, or threads of really nice projects or how to do stuff.

If a thread has broken links, or missing pictures, I will let it die.

You may not believe it, but I don't bump all the threads I have saved.

A few months ago a member was not happy that I bumped so many threads. Since then, I have tried to be more selective.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
One more thing.

Usually when I bump a thread, new content is added, so more information is available to all.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite