What's with all the recycled threads?
There's no way to save threads indefinitely and make them publicly available. Stickying all the old, good threads really wouldn't work. At the moment, "bumping" old threads is the only way we have to save conversations that would otherwise be lost, and if members want to keep old threads from being lost, we mods don't mind.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I also appreciate the efforts of Martin and others to keep some of these old threads from disappearing. Curt once suggested using Evernote and I have some threads saved there, but have since forgotten how to use it. Would have to read the instructions again to find the stuff I stored there.

But I do have a suggestion for those wanting to avoid the recycled threads. Just check the number of views, number of posts, and the day of the month before opening the thread. Recycled posts tend to hit near the end of the month. They also tend to have a very large number of views, and often a large number of posts. So, if it's near the end of a month and a post shows up that you haven't noticed in the last week or so, and it's got thousands of views or dozens of posts, it's a retread.

Steve
I respect the members who go to the trouble of keeping the great threads of prior years alive. If not for them, the forum might read like this:
" Need help deciding which plane to buy first"
While others have weighted in here to explain the situation let me make it clear that they are not "Zombie threads". Martin is doing everyone a favor by bumping them so they get retained for another year. So as a Mod I applaud and appreciate his work
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Mike Brady said:

I respect the members who go to the trouble of keeping the great threads of prior years alive. If not for them, the forum might read like this:

L-N Low Angle Jack

Well said

Steve
Steve Friedman said:

[blockquote]Mike Brady said:

L-N Low Angle Jack

Well said

Steve

[/blockquote]

Naw, vintage #4 . . . . .
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Blacky's Boy said:

While others have weighted in here to explain the situation let me make it clear that they are not "Zombie threads". Martin is doing everyone a favor by bumping them so they get retained for another year. So as a Mod I applaud and appreciate his work

I also appreciate Martin's work on these threads, so, Martin, "Keep on keeping on!"

r2
Saving this thread, so I can bring it back in a year.
I don't think TobyC will be bumping any more threads here. You would have to go next door to understand.

MarvW said:

Thanks to you and TobyC, Admiral and others who bump older threads.

For those who question the re-posting of those threads, can easily skip over them. Keep in mind, those who contribute to the threads that some people deem worthy of re-posting, spent a considerable amount of their time making the thread worthy.

I wish I had bumped thread on the the woodshop in Liberia I wanted the pics from....
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11