Initial Impressions of Qualspray Spray Gun
Thanks John, headed there now.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
John, you are about 6 months into owning this gun. Still liking it? Any issues?
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I bought the LVLP version of this gun about 3 weeks ago.  I sprayed a wooded lamp with BM Advanced this past week, what a pleasure using this gun.  Used the 1.5 tip and opened the air up a little and it sprayed beautifully, wish I would have purchased it years ago.
(07-24-2016, 02:00 AM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: John, you are about 6 months into owning this gun. Still liking it? Any issues?

I continue to be impressed with how well this gun sprays and have had no issues with the exception that the 1.5 mm nozzle was tight to install in the gun.  I would have called Jeff to see about getting a replacement but of course I was under a time crunch so I put some cutting oil on the threads and carefully threaded it into the gun, like you would when cutting pipe threads.  It seated OK and the other two nozzles still fit fine so it's all good.  That was the only issue.

I've sprayed everything from water based dye to BM Advance with it now using the 3 N/N supplied with the stock outfit and it has sprayed every product flawlessly.  The pressurized cup design allows you to use a smaller N/N and that gives finer atomization and a smoother finish with less work than a non-pressurized gun.  I bought the 3M PPS cup system and I can't say enough good things about it.  The collapsable bag allows you to spray at any angle, including upside down, and that was a huge step up in functionality for me.  It also uses up nearly every drop of finish as the bag collapses, so you don't have to refill as often.  Cleanup is fast and easy, too.  I clean the bags and lids and reuse them, but you can dispose of them if you are spraying something nasty. 

The gun itself is easy to adjust and needs minimal tuning to spray well.  Most of the time I leave the inlet pressure at 29 psi as Jeff recommends, and the fan control at 1 turn, and only need to adjust fluid flow to get a good pattern.  The gun breaks down easily and cleanup is without issues.  The internals could be polished better but it's still easy to clean.  I spray clears and paint with the same gun and have had no trouble with contamination. 

I'm sure there are other guns that spray as well, probably for no more money, too, but Jeff has taken the guess work out of what components work together so you know what you buy will meet your needs, and packaged it in a nice kit that's easy to store.  I'm a satisfied customer. 

John

PS: I've probably sprayed well over 10 gals of stuff through the gun since I bought it.
+1

I bought the same setup that John has after seeing how well it was working for him.  I am a complete newbie when it comes to spraying but this setup makes it pretty easy.

While I'm posting - Many Thanks John for helping me with the initial settings and giving me some tips.  I've learned a lot from your detailed posts, too.

Lonnie
Thanks Lonnie. Glad I was able to help.  Spraying almost makes finishing fun, doesn't it?

John
John,
It's starting to become fun!  I've come to realize that finishing is the 'make or break' part of any project.  The hard part is accumulating the experience and knowledge to use the finish that will compliment your project the best.  This forum is great because people post pictures and then freely give their recipe.  I copy and paste a lot of notes.  I'm determined to get good at it.

Lonnie
(07-24-2016, 07:43 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: John,
It's starting to become fun!  I've come to realize that finishing is the 'make or break' part of any project.  The hard part is accumulating the experience and knowledge to use the finish that will compliment your project the best.  This forum is great because people post pictures and then freely give their recipe.  I copy and paste a lot of notes.  I'm determined to get good at it.

Lonnie

+1 on not relying on "Christmas Eve finishes" (less than complementary way of describing finishing methods that can be slopped on 12 hours ahead of deadline -- not that there is always something wrong with that...)  
Wink

And I'll second the complementary notes on spraying Zinsser BIN.  I happened to use a 1.3mm N/N and it did GREAT on a 4 stage turbine (100CFM / 8+PSI).
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
THanks guys!
John, I think I'm going to spring for that unit within a week. Just a couple more questions, if you don't mind.

How picky is it with viscosity? Do you find yourself thinning more than you'd expect? Or, do you ever find yourself using a needle that you wouldn't have guessed would have been correct?
What I'm looking for is a gun that'll let me use science, not art, in its use. I'd rather just follow directions or a chart and get the results as advertised.

Thanks again!

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(07-25-2016, 07:48 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: THanks guys!
John, I think I'm going to spring for that unit within a week. Just a couple more questions, if you don't mind.

How picky is it with viscosity? Do you find yourself thinning more than you'd expect? Or, do you ever find yourself using a needle that you wouldn't have guessed would have been correct?
What I'm looking for is a gun that'll let me use science, not art, in its use. I'd rather just follow directions or a chart and get the results as advertised.

Thanks again!

John can speak to the Qualspray conversion rig but what I'm finding is that so long as the air supply is consistent in both volume and pressure a spray gun is dead simple to set up and get running right.  I haven't run every possible fluid through, but so far if the manual says the 1.3mm is the recommended tip or in the case of the GF Milk Paint which had the recommended needle size for a range of CFM/PSI, then the gun does what it says it will do on the label.

Given the reputation of the Qualspray lines after reading tons of reviews, it is likely the same.  So long as the compressor tank keeps up.

I hope to have a prototype Ainarondack chair ready for exterior primer and then a nice light color of exterior latex.  If the weather cooperates, I'll be testing my rig with enamel latex.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin