chip carved Christmas ornaments
My son did not want me to "show off" his carving on the internet, but, I think he does not understand how Woodnet works. Also, he doesn't get to tell me what to do.
He made his knives from files, some that were tapered. It took a while to get them "right."
The ornament designs came from a book by Bruce and Judy Nicolas. The wood is store bought basswood, riven spalted poplar from firewood pile, and storebought poplar.

Eric
Beautiful - now, show us the knives.

r2
I'm not a carver but certainly recognize talent and your son has a LOT of carving talent. Those are beautiful. And he made his own knives? Go to the head of the class!
He shouldn't be shy about that work, it's very beautiful. Maybe instead he should teach others how to do that. I agree with Richard, would love to see his home made tools.

Thanks for posting.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Wow! The talent and artistic ability to do that AND make his own tools - just wow. I agree, I'd love to pics of the knives.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Eric,

First off, Merry Christmas!

Tell your son he does beautiful work. I find, most of the time, the people with a little humility do some of the finest work. It sounds like you've raised a good man.
Take care,
Daryl
Thanks for all the replies and compliments. I will have to take photos of his knives later--they are some of the same ones I posted a while back, with holly handles. He went to school on them.

I made a trip to the ER this morning. A chisel stab to the left hand. Hurrying. Four stitches. I was lucky. Will smarten up one day.

Eric.
You've got to be one proud dad. Those are lovely.

One of the faults of many home-made ornaments is weight, but those look nice and light.
Congrats on a talented son and hopes for a speedy recovery with the hand injury! Merry Christmas!
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools

Here is an old photo, with some spoons.

Thanks again for all the comps.

Eric