Interior painting and pantry question
I have now completely repainted the interior of the house with the exception of the closets and pantry. Including all the interior doors, crown, and base molding. The whole place was a dark grey/green which actually looked okay, but we needed to brighten it up.

The pantry has the site built particle board shelving with 1x2 'brackets' and bracing. Functional, but saggy and looks cheap. I'm gonna redo that before too long. Question to the group is what's preferable nowadyas? Solid shelving or the wire systems? I prefer the wire, LOML doesn't. I've let her have her way several times the past couple years so I may actually get to make this choice...
The wire system is great is theory but reality is....I hate it in my bathroom closet! Bedroom closet isn't so bad but still not great. The problem I have is that anything that doesn't span several wires is likely to tip over or be unstable. Deodorant or shaving cream is always tipped on it's side, etc. It is great for towels and keeping dust and lint off of the shelving but the small items look disorganized.
I imagine small items in a pantry would have the same problem. Plus, this stuff is pretty expensive for what you get.
Same here I hate the wire. I bought shelf standards and brackets from ikea. Good price and strong and lots of drawers etc available. The standards are so strong that i used them in the shop for wood storage. I figured if I can put my weight on one bracket then it'll hold whatever lumber I put on it.
carwashguy said:

The wire system is great is theory but reality is....I hate it in my bathroom closet! Bedroom closet isn't so bad but still not great. The problem I have is that anything that doesn't span several wires is likely to tip over or be unstable. Deodorant or shaving cream is always tipped on it's side, etc. It is great for towels and keeping dust and lint off of the shelving but the small items look disorganized.
I imagine small items in a pantry would have the same problem. Plus, this stuff is pretty expensive for what you get.

Good points. I had some in the shop before and forgot about this.
Have wire. Hate wire. Replaced it with solid shelving in the last house and will do the same here once I get round tuit.

Other than cost I can't understand the popularity of these wire systems.
-Marc

As soon as I backed off pushing the wire she started talking about pullouts and drawers and lazy susans. In other words, a full blown big deal. The space could certainly be better utilized, but my head is starting to hurt already.

I guess it's a good project to while away the winter weather. If we ever get any.
KC said:

I have now completely repainted the interior of the house with the exception of the closets and pantry...

Just curious.... Did you remove the toilet tank??
I will suggest wire shelving made by Elfa of Sweden which is available exclusively in the US at The Container Store. Every year at this time they offer a 30% savings. They are extremely well made and nothing like what is available anywhere else. They are modern European design, innovative, modular, extremely head-duty and are made to last years and years. I have installed them throughout our home and we absolutely love the product. All our closets are painted white with the exception of the back wall which is colored. The platinum finish really gleams against the backdrop of the accent color.

Elfa
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
srv52761 said:

[blockquote]KC said:

I have now completely repainted the interior of the house with the exception of the closets and pantry...

Just curious.... Did you remove the toilet tank??

[/blockquote]

All three... and one of those twice because the color was wrong. Everything on the wall comes down unless it's a kitchen cabinet. That seems over the top to me.
I suggest wire with wheels so you can move them for cleaning and painting, etc. Some thin plywood scraps can provide solid footing for small cans and jars. I use flats from water bottle crates.

Wire provides air and light circulation while preventing the buildup of dust. Add the wheels and they really shine and set themselves apart from regular shelving.

I am ending a five year house update and also have the pantry left. I guess that is the most popular room to put off. Don't forget the new smoke detector and LED lighting. Good luck with your update.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com