pictures of my lasted project
Here are a couple of pictures of the mantle that I started just before Christmas. My wife only had to ask me once to do it. Well maybe once or twice a year for the last 18 years.

The bottom and sides are rough sawn red oak. The top is also red oak. The depth of the mantle is about 11 inches . the top is planned and sanded on both sides. Every thing came from one board which was 16 feet long. We discussed it and we decided to leave it unfinished until late spring. I like to finish both sides of a project and since it is over a fire place we didn't know how extra heat would effect a fresh finish not to mention smell at the holiday season.

Here are some other pictures of the living room decorations and a picture of things I have built in the past.

PS The four saws belonged to my grandfather who apprenticed in the late 1800s. I know most will find it hard to believe, but the teeth on the cross cut saws were sharpened like sharks teeth and cut on the push and pull stroke. I didn't believe it until I tried out the saws.

Anyway thanks for your time in viewing my post and have a Merry Christmas.
Tom

I love mantels. Was it hard to hang? What did you do to hang it with?

I wish I had some of my Grandfathers saws when he made the house and barn way back in 1894 just outside of Benson Minnesota. Later he put lumber siding on the barn but do not remember when.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The mantle looks good but you should remind your wife that if a man says he's gonna do something there is no meed to remind him every 6 years!

Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I have to agree with this time frame...
I am somewhat surprised that there are no comments about the other decorations, especially on a woodworking forum.

I know I am very fortune. But I wonder how many men out there that get to decorate their living, front, room with antique woodworking tools. I am still looking for just the one piece because I am all but out of wall space.

Tom
Tom-

When I first saw those pictures, I thought you must have a pretty nice wife, but I knew that already after meeting her in Amana.

Phil
Tom, I did notice the tools! My wife's quilts are all over the house....there are no tools though.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood