Stationary belt sander vs disc sander?
I have a 1 x 30 , and a 12" disk sander,plus a 1 x 42 that is shop made for metal work.I rarely use the disk sander, for me the 1 x 30 belt sander is used a lot for wood.Changing belts is lot easier than removing disks.
mike
I also have a Shopsmith and use both the 6" x 48" belt sander and the 12" disc sander. I use them both often, depending on the project. I make a round bases for custom lamps, which I rough cut on my SS bandsaw or my Delta scroll saw depending on the diameter. Then I true them to the line with the 12" disc, while rotating by hand on the table.
Brian
Shop power by Powermatic, Shopsmith, Delta & Bosch.
Edge sander is the one tool missing from my perfect shop. I turned my Craftsman belt sander vertical--poor substitute but better than disc.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
That sounds like the perfect use for the 12" disk sander.

I have the 1" SS belt sander as well. Making a platform for it on the offside of the power station is on my ToDo list so that I can set the 1" belt up in sharpening mode. I've had the sharpening attachment for a long time now.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
In most instances a disk sander is a roughing machine, perfect when making jigs and templates. For finish work it excels at trimming miters. It isn't a machine that leaves a finish ready surface.

You can do quite a bit of finish sanding with a belt after practice. The limiting factor is the platen size but even that can be overcome (within reason).

The indispensability of an edge sander puts it in a third category. The edge sander is usually the last machine added to a shop but it becomes one of the last machines someone would get rid of.
Combo

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
(12-25-2015, 04:21 PM)jgourlay Wrote: In general what are the strengths and weaknesses of stationary belt sanders vs stationary disk sanders?

I have been making boxes with dovetail keys.  I am using chisels to flushtrim the  keys, but am thinking I want a power method.  Which do you think is better for this?  Who makes a good tabletop version?

I can't think of the last time I used my 12" disk sander.  OTOH, I use the 6" belt sander side of that machine all the time.  But for trimming keys I use a Japanese flush trim saw and then sand as usual with my ROS.  Much less chance of unwanted drama. 

John
Jet 6"x89" edge sander is the cats meow.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-10-2017, 07:04 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Jet 6"x89" edge sander is the cats meow.

+1. I bought the Jet Oscillating Edge Sander this spring and kick myself for not buying it five years ago when I first wanted one. There is no comparison between an oscillating edge sander and a disc sander.
(12-27-2015, 05:23 PM)Unisaw A100 Wrote: The indispensability of an edge sander puts it in a third category.  The edge sander is usually the last machine added to a shop but it becomes one of the last machines someone would get rid of.

+1

You never realize how much it gets used until its gone.