Stationary belt sander vs disc sander?
I don't know about sanders, but another way to trim dovetail keys flush so there is very little sanding or planing needed is to use the tablesaw.  The challenge is to guide the box past the blade accurately with the keys sticking out to keep you from using the saw normally.  Here's an approach:

The idea is that spacers (brown) clamped to the fence and table of your saw let you slide the flat sides past the blade (red) positioned to trim off the keys.  This is fast, and pretty accurate if the outside edge of the blade is positioned the same distance from the fence as the fence spacer reaches.

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-25-2015, 07:55 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: "Flush trimming With a Router" -- Plan to build a flush trim router base for splines and keys:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/359513982728137009

I made something similar for my laminate trimmer. Cut keys/splines close, then sand flush.

I do much the same when making box joints.  The flush trim bit works better than the hand held belt sander I was using.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

When I was a patternmaker we used 20" and 24" disk sanders every day. They sanded FLAT which a belt has trouble with. One big use of the disks was sanding segments for turning glue ups.
I have a disc on the lathe, so if it were me, I'd go for the edge sander. Can't readily make a lathe into a belt sander.

I can set up the disc on the lathe in just a couple of minutes.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(12-25-2015, 04:21 PM)jgourlay Wrote: In general what are the strengths and weaknesses of stationary belt sanders vs stationary disk sanders?

I have been making boxes with dovetail keys.  I am using chisels to flushtrim the  keys, but am thinking I want a power method.  Which do you think is better for this?  Who makes a good tabletop version?

If you have a lathe you can use a face plate and make your own disc sander. I got my paper from Grizzly at 15" and the flat part that fits over the ways up to the desired height.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Seems to be a LOT of different opinions as to preferences, but I have a question - I own an older Delta combo 9" disc/48" belt sander (Model 31-695 - pic below)  - have 6" belts from 80 to 180 Grits and easy to change; however, the discs are PSA and a pain to change - there is currently another thread PSA vs H&L discussing the advantages/preferences about these two types of disc papers - SO, my question for those that own these larger discs on combo sanders like mine, are there any ways to adapt a H&L (or other easily removable choice) pad to a disc sander?  Just wondering and probably would use the machine more, if possible.  Thanks for any comments or suggestions.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
g--you don't want H&L. Stick with PSA discs on a machine like this for superior flatness.
Wood is good.