Kitchen cabinet design
I'm planning to build a 6' run of framed upper cabinets. Instead of building 2-3 individual boxes, any reason not to build one 6' long cabinet? From the outside, the frame and doors would look no different from a typical 2-3 box design. Each shelf would be supported at the ends, each frame stile, and the back. The purpose would be to provide more flexible storage.

Any disadvantages that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Rich
I dont build cabinets, but I think size and weight work against you while trying to hang it, and probably the biggest I would think would be strength. Can you hold as much weight in a 6' box, or three 2' boxes?

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I know that working by myself, it would be impossible to lift and hang a single 6' cabinet. Pretty sure the Mrs would not be enough to make a difference in that equation either....
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
Yes it would take 3 guys to install it in a perfect world, but with a little ingenuity one can prop it up on the counter or over the floor.
Mike

RichK said:

I'm planning to build a 6' run of framed upper cabinets. Instead of building 2-3 individual boxes, any reason not to build one 6' long cabinet? From the outside, the frame and doors would look no different from a typical 2-3 box design. Each shelf would be supported at the ends, each frame stile, and the back. The purpose would be to provide more flexible storage.

Any disadvantages that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Rich

Apart from the weight, none. The advantage in my house (late 18th C) would be that the cupboards would be nicely aligned. Fitted individually on walls that are neither straight nor vertical, individual cupboards are very difficult to align correctly. I'd go for one big one.
Cheers

Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National Park
www.rue-darnet.fr
I would be concerned about it sagging.

Will there be a vertical partition midway?
Is it hanging from a bulkhead?
I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.
We had a single piece upper cabinet that is about 6' long in our kitchen. It hung over the peninsula. It is divided into three section each with double doors. It was attached to the wall at one end and hung from threaded rods that went up to the ceiling at the other. It was there a long time and held dishes and other heavy stuff. Doors on both sides so there was no back panel to add stiffness. It never sagged.

I took it down when we decided to get rid of it and that wasn't pleasant but it wasn't terrible, either. I built up supports under it before removing screws. It is on the wall in my shop, now.
Nothing wrong with 6 foot cabinet.

But . . . I would consider an interior partition to cut down the length of the shelf. A shelf of that length will sag, absent extra engineering (e.g., tortion box design).

Scott
There are so many more positives than negatives in building a continuous cabinet. The negatives are so easily overcome they aren't worth the time worrying about.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Akula said:

Nothing wrong with 6 foot cabinet.

But . . . I would consider an interior partition to cut down the length of the shelf. A shelf of that length will sag, absent extra engineering (e.g., tortion box design).

Scott

why>

Add shelf pin supports in the front and back of the unit mullions and shelves are supported the same as a divider.

You may however have a larger issue getting the shelf in the cabinet (which you will be able to as long as there is adequate length on one side or the other of the installed unit) than you ever will with sagging done like this
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy