Stove Cover - Wood Choice and Pic Request
I have been requested to build a stove cover for my wife and I am looking for advice on which wood would be best. It is simply for covering the stove during get togethers or parties. Stuff (plates, drinks, bowls, cakes,etc) would be placed on it when in use so I am wanting the wood to be very durable. I used to wood work alot years ago (and lurk on here) but may be getting back into it on a small scale. I am trying to make this quick and easy though thats why I am asking for a wood recommendation. I have forgotten alot of things since I last built anything. Also, if anyone has built a stove cover, I would appreciate a picture. I know it is pretty simple but I want it to be nice. Thanks.
I guess I'd consider something that compliments your cabinets/countertops. Never having built a stove cover, I assume it is just a slab like a table top so it shouldn't present any construction problems.

Most importantly, what does your wife want it to look like?
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Makes sense that the wife who wants the cover, show you what she wants After that, details about how to build it, will become easier. I imagine in most cases it is like building a big cutting board.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Here's my take: carefully think.

How easy is it to turn on the range controls?

Reason I ask is a friend once made some similar and some how one of the electric burners was tuned on while people were served/served themselves. Luckily someone noticed the odor of the wood heating up....
I have a gas cook top. I cut a piece of 1/2 plywood to fit. I pull off the knobs on the cook top, and throw the plywood on top. My wife covers the plywood with a piece of material, towel, or whatever. It takes 30 seconds max. to set it up or take it down.
I did LOML's from red oak, stained to come close to the oak cabinets.

Ed