Building The Drawers - The Lingerie Chest
Here is the next chapter in my lingerie chest build: the drawers. Just two of eight so far. I cannot believe how long each one is taking! Hopefully I shall speed up as I now understand what is needed.

I did promise to post once I had a few done. I shall not get back to the build for about a month as we are off to the UK for a few weeks.

For those who just want the details, the link is: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/B...awers.html

These are compound angled drawers, with a bow front and angled sides. There are flush beaded slips, amongst the details.

For those who just want a progress picture, this is for you ...

(The carcase is Makore, a West African hardwood, while the drawers fronts are Jarrah)

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thanks, Derek. That's looking very nice indeed.

Have fun in the UK. My wife is an anglophile of the First Order. She LOVES the UK. Every chance we get for a nice vacation, that's where she wants to go.

Hank
Thanks Hank. I hope you are on vacation, or did I recall that you retired? Either way, have a relaxing Festive Season.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thanks Derek. Retired (aka permanent vacation ). My Holiday regards to you as well.
oh my, so pretty.

Derek, did you say you are building two matching chests? jk...
Truly excellent work on a challenging project. As much as seeing your work I enjoy and learn much from your build-alongs. I truly appreciate the effort you put into the pics and the write-up. I suspect I speak for almost all of us.

Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I am wanting to make a cabinet with drawers by my lathe so chips will not go in them and to organize it better. I am now going to make box joints instead of dovetails for now.
Since I have never made a drawer how do I figure out what sizes to make or how to put the slot spaces between them?

Or what size to make the slot to fit the drawer bottom into?

I should say I have no plywood nor the money to buy a sheet so I will have to plane some pine down to 1/4 or 1/2.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks Tim. Thanks Curt.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Man, Derek, you make the most amazing dovetails! When I retire, I'm going to do nothing but practice dovetailing for an entire month, then maybe I'll qualify as an apprentice dovetailer. Super work, and the wood on those drawer fronts is really nice. I like the grain and the bark inclusions, or whatever they are called. Lots of character.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Hi Allan

Don't wait until you retire to learn to dovetail. Do it now!

Try the blue tape method I linked to in the article. It makes transferring dovetail lines easier. It makes sawing to a line less of a strain when your eyes get older. I shoot about 95% or better saw-to-saw (no adjustment needed).

Regards from Perth

Derek