wall paper removal and repainting
Hi all,
My daughter and I got into this wall paper removal project in a bedroom. She successfully removed some border wall paper on 3 walls so we could have a nicer paintable surface. Then we attempted another wall that was entirely covered in wall paper. For reasons that seemed like a good idea at the time, we tried steaming off the paper with one of those steamers that are sold at Lowes. We ended up removing the paper, but there is a thin layer of "something", perhaps glue that is still adhering to the drywall. The paper was put up over bare drywall. Wish I would have left the paper there and just painted over it as the previous owner had done in places. The surface in its present condition is uneven and not good for painting. I thought of doing a smooth coat of joint compound and sanding flat, or maybe just putting up wall paper again. I would actually like to paint the wall but am not sure what to do with this surface. Any suggestions?
the glue is left over. It can be really hard to remove all the way and then causes a bad surface with the paint. I have skim coated it successfully.
If it was put onto bare drywall, I'd find the person who did it and execute him/her summarily.....such a travesty should be against the law. I'm not sure you cna get it off without damaging the rock, but usually I've had good luck cleaning it off with TSP (the real stuff), but that was always on walls that had been sized. Shoulf that not work the skim coat, or new rock with 1/4" thick skinng stuff may be the only solution...besides more wallpaper. there is a wallpaper covering (at least there used to be) that is made to be painted. That might be another choice.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've shared your pain!!!
My bride & I used a steamer like yours to remove the paper. Most came off in big pieces; others resulted in &*^%$@!
We continued using the steamer to soften the sizing/glue.
Used plastic "knives" to remove as much as possible.
Then the "fun" started: TSP and LOTS of scrubbing.
In your case, it will be even harder since the drywall wasn't primed.
That was the last wallpapered room in the house. We both vowed that the word "wallpaper" will never be spoken again!
I've seen and done a couple jobs where installing 1/4" thick sheetrock is easier than dealing with the glue mess.