This could get expensive
I was alerted to a woman that was selling off her late husband's tools and so I went over to see what was there. I almost fell over when I got into the basement. This guy makes me look like I don't have any tools at all. There is a minty Stanley #1, an Ohio #1 , a MINTY 55 in the box, another 55 that is also minty, it just doesn't have the box, several 45's, a 62, more molding planes than I have ever seen in one place, dozens of braces, cooper tools (including a MONSTER cooper plane with a double iron), and hundreds of planes. The guy inventoried everything before he passed and that's really helping the widow since he left pricing for the good stuff. She wants pretty much retail on the really good pieces, but I was able to get some items First up are some RJ auger bits. I hadn't seen a small set in the 2 tier box before.

Nice MF #77 router plane, Stanley #30, and a 148

Decent 113, a nice 67 with the fence, but missing the curved sole, and a no name stair saw

Nice #7, nice #3 and a really nice #112

Nice Dosch miter trimmer

Last were a few nice molding planes that I just couldn't resist. There are literally hundreds more there.

That's it...for now. I have ahunch that I'll be making at least one more trip
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
You didn't buy the number 1's?

She gave you first crack at the tools and you left some behind?
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
In my defense, I only went there with $500 because I didn't expect to find what was there. I will be going back. She wants top dollar for the really good pieces and she's pretty shrewd. Her MO is to ask the buyer for an offer. If the offer is at least as much as what she has on her sheet, she accepts. If not, she declines. My hope is that the stuff I've already bought will get me some good will and I can just ask for prices. I really don't want to pull the old "I can't buy it and sell it". I also have NO idea on the value of some things like the cooper plane. This thing has got to be 5' long.
Take your time getting back there. Today, I plan to propose to her.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
I'm so stupid! I never understood how someone could have been married 4 or 5 times. Now I get it!!
With that kind of collection, you'd think she'd arrange to have them auctioned off at one of the larger vintage tool auctions. She'd get top money or more for some of those rare tools.

As far as proposing to her goes, I like the advice that Phil Robertson (Duck Dynasty) gave on marriage to one of his grandsons: "Don't marry just a pretty woman. Marry a woman how knows how to cook. In 40 years, the pretty woman won't be pretty anymore, but the woman who knows how to cook will still be cooking." (paraphrased)
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Quite a collection.

Good for her for knowing the value of these fine pieces and getting a fair price for them.
AHill said:

With that kind of collection, you'd think she'd arrange to have them auctioned off at one of the larger vintage tool auctions. She'd get top money or more for some of those rare tools.

She has already had Martin Donnelly over there a few times, and I was amazed that he left certain things behind. I can only imagine what he's already taken. I asked her why she didn't just have him take them for auction and her answer was that there's no way to know what the tools will bring and that she doesn't want to pay the 25% commission. She will auction whatever she can't sell for the prices she wants.
Patsfan said:

Take your time getting back there. Today, I plan to propose to her.

Mazel Tov!!!!
Dave,

I was just kidding. I understand the problem of limited tool funds, and having to make tough choices when buying tools.

Does she sell by mail? Did she say how much the #1's were?

Except for Dowd's tools, no place to find stuff like that in Texas.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite