lunch box or stationary planer: Chris Schwartz's take
Alan S said:

I like what Chris writes because he not only expresses an opinion, but he explains his thinking so you can evaluate whether it applies to your work or not. I definitely do not agree with all his opinions, but I do enjoy reading them.

Yep, I like some of his writing also but PW is not the same since the shake-up awhile back. Ken
I just don't have room for another stationary tool. I'm considering moving a wall in my shop and I'm still not sure if I'll have room. With the lunchbox, I can set it up on the tablesaw extension table and store it underneath. I have considered getting a convertible jointer/planer. The main motivation is that I want to surface stuff that's wider than 8", but I suspect it would be a step up from my current lunchbox and storage wouldn't be as big of a problem. Every time I mention this, people say I shouldn't do it.
EricU said:

I have considered getting a convertible jointer/planer. The main motivation is that I want to surface stuff that's wider than 8", but I suspect it would be a step up from my current lunchbox and storage wouldn't be as big of a problem. Every time I mention this, people say I shouldn't do it.

At the risk of taking this thread sideways, if a J/P combo solves some problems for you, it really doesn't matter what others say. Sounds like you are the excellent candidate for one.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yeah, I read that too. If you have the space for the footprint of a big iron machine, you would be nuts not to have one. Far superior. He needed an article, and reached with this one. That being said, lunchbox planers have their place and can do good work, but are not honestly comparable to the big iron.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I didnt read the article....but IMHO there isnt a lunchbox made that can compare to my stationary with a helical head.

Maybe the only thing is a lunchbox would be portable.

Otherwise the stationary is quieter, more powerful, better dust collection, and the list goes on.

I would have to read the article, but I cant see WHY anyone would think a lunchbox is better.

Well....one thing I could think of is from a hobby perspective.....a lunch box is better because it takes up less room, easier to move around, etc. because its not used daily.

For me, I bought my stationary because of the need for increased workflow, since its used daily.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

EricU said:

I just don't have room for another stationary tool. I'm considering moving a wall in my shop and I'm still not sure if I'll have room. With the lunchbox, I can set it up on the tablesaw extension table and store it underneath. I have considered getting a convertible jointer/planer. The main motivation is that I want to surface stuff that's wider than 8", but I suspect it would be a step up from my current lunchbox and storage wouldn't be as big of a problem. Every time I mention this, people say I shouldn't do it.

I've been using J/P combos for over 25 years. The upside is a wide jointer and a smaller footprint compared to a separate jointer and planer. The downside? None really. It takes me less than a minute to switch back and forth. That's a small price to pay for having a 10" jointer with my Inca and now a 14" one with my Mini Max. My Mini Max is a pretty large machine, but it's a lot smaller than having two stationary machines with 14" width.

I think the only people who say not to do it are those who have never used one.

John
LIL

I don't miss my screaming lunchbox planer one bit.

FWIW, I don't use the in/outfeed rollers and I haven't done an adjustment other than thickness in years. Since I installed a byrd head, I'll likely never have to change knives in my lifetime either.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I have and use both. My 12" shellix is great for overall work. But I would never give up my old lunch box. I use on a small detail work.
PaulC said:

I just moved from a 13" Delta lunchbox to a generic 16" stationary unit that I got a deal on because it required some work (full take-apart and de-rusting). It took a lot of work to set it up after re-assembly (just as listed). I hope I don't have to go through that again anytime soon.

most likely you never will again.

remember,you bought a rust bucket the restoration effort was inevitable
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

My shop is smaller that his, at 11' x 25', and yet I'd never go back to a lunchbox planer. I had the 13" DeWalt 735 which did a good job planning but was screaming loud and 90# 'portable.'. Replaced it with a Grizzly 15" with spiral head and built-in mobile base.