Good Weather Radio?
Anyone know of a good weather radio? We have one from the shack but it's acting weird.
I've had 3 Midland models that have always been really good. The current one does have a drawback: the siren (scream, alert, whatever) is ear splitting loud...I mean stick your head in a jet engine loud. Ours is in the master bedroom, and you can hear it very well anywhere in the house. They could have at least give you 2 volume settings, one regular and one "don't wake the dead". Still, it's a very good unit with lots of features. When I said we've had 3, that was over the last 30+ years, so they have a good long life.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I so want to make a joke about you needing a "bad" weather radio but this is not the basement.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I had a good weather radio. It didn't work when it rained.

Twinn
Will post for food.
There's an app for that.

HTH

Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Amazon has a Midland WR120EZ that gets good reviews. Guess I'll get that one.

Don't have (or want) a smart phone.
For anything to do with a radio I go to C. Crane.

http://www.ccrane.com/
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Was in a guys shop and saw a radio with a large hole drilled through it and mounted on a long metal rod. I asked what that was. He said it was a weather radio. I asked how does that work?
"You hold it up to the sky and look through the hole to check the weather- if it is bright, the sun is out- if it's dark, it's cloudy- if your eye gets wet, it's raining- if you get dirt in your eye, it's a tornado".
I asked about the metal rod. he said you hold it up in the air to check for lightning.

fredhargis said:

I've had 3 Midland models that have always been really good. The current one does have a drawback: the siren (scream, alert, whatever) is ear splitting loud...I mean stick your head in a jet engine loud. Ours is in the master bedroom, and you can hear it very well anywhere in the house. They could have at least give you 2 volume settings, one regular and one "don't wake the dead". Still, it's a very good unit with lots of features. When I said we've had 3, that was over the last 30+ years, so they have a good long life.

We have had 2 midlands, neither made it more than about a year and a half. We now use a sangean that is about 5 years old.