Stanley 45/55 combination planes
I recently bought a 45 here in Swap 'n' Sell to use as plow plane. It didn't have the second adjustable slider. Now I'm wondering if I would be happier with the second slider. Still cleaning it up.

I have a fully equipped 55 that I bought when I had fewer kids in college and more money. I liked using it as a plow, that's why I bought the 45. I usually store it fully kitted out, it always makes me laugh to see it that way.

One thing I'm curious about is the slitting knife. These seem to be missing on a lot of the old tools. Does anyone know what they were intended to be used for?
Eric

I have no answers for you, but I am wondering what "fully kitted out" Means?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
What do you mean by "2nd adjustable slider?" I have various parts for the 45 (not the often missing slitter) and if this is a common part I would be happy to see it leave my garage.
I assume the skate?
You will want the skate for cutting wider dados. For narrow dados, you can get by with one skate. IMO, you don't need the slitting knife. It was designed to cut very thin pieces of wood, say 1/8 inch , and once you went over the piece a few times, you would split - cut it off. I have the slitting knife for my 45 and 55, and used it just once to try it out. It is about the same as holding a ruler on top of a thin piece of wood, and dragging a utility knife along the edge a few times.
WJB said:

I assume the skate?

yes, the skate. I was trying to find the names of the parts and didn't see it right off.

Arlin, "fully kitted out" means with all the parts installed.
IMO you will definitely need the second skate with any plough blade over 1/4". I suppose if you are extremely skilled and/or have some other way to stabilize it could work.

IIRC the splitter blade is for cutting thin strips of wood.

Check out this site for more info. web page

I've got an early 45 as well as a complete set of blades.
After using/attempting to use it I've decided they are fun little tools to tinker and make work.

Very clever design, but overall really not very good as plow planes go.
Thanks for the link. There are also lots of youtube videos about these planes.

interesting that you don't like it as a plow. I tried plowing with my 55 and it worked really well, so that's when I decided to get a 45 to leave set up this way. I was thinking that I would just use it for small stuff, that's why I wasn't concerned about the lack of adjustable skate on this one. I'm sure the shortcomings of this design show up more readily as the blade gets wider.

I forget how much I paid for the 55, it wasn't a good use of money, I'm sure.
Like the others said, you need the skate unless you are only using the smallest of cutters. It's a must. You can find them all over ebay. Or post a "Wanted" ad in Swap and Sell. I have a ton of parts, but not sure if I have any spares of that.

As for the splitter, its very specific and not needed. Most people don't rip thin stock using the slitter. And they're always shown left mounted on the plane, and I find they're best for snagging my hand and cutting me when left on the plane. Never ever used it. It's only needed to make the plane complete, but not for use.

For$6.95, you can buy the reprint book of the Stanley 45 at Lee Valley tools. Tells you exactly how to set it up for all the different functions and applications. Well worth it.

Matt
It's funny that the slitters sell for so much. I guess they are missing because someone got tired of getting cut. You usually see them with the blade pointed right at the handle. Now I have to try it.