Mitre Saw Recommendation
Looking for a new mitre saw to be used for shop only. Feedback appreciated. I will be building a work station for the saw.
Thanks.
Slider or fixed?

If you are looking for a slider, I'm very fond of my 12" Makita that I got from Tyler Tool many moons ago:

Click on the image to bring up the Amazon page
chris
I have a Dewalt DW715, 12" single bevel CMS. It was accurate out of the box and has stayed that way. I got the LED worklight attachment for Christmas. That thing is sweet!

BWT, I see on Lowes website they are pricing them at $219. That's a pretty good price. I paid $299 when I bought mine 4-5 years ago.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Bill Wilson said:

I have a Dewalt DW715, 12" single bevel CMS. It was accurate out of the box and has stayed that way. I got the LED worklight attachment for Christmas. That thing is sweet!

BWT, I see on Lowes website they are pricing them at $219. That's a pretty good price. I paid $299 when I bought mine 4-5 years ago.

Hard to quibble with that price. A slider will be more than twice that. I got a smokin' deal on mine as a rehab and it was $350.
chris
doobes said:

[blockquote]Bill Wilson said:

Hard to quibble with that price. A slider will be more than twice that. I got a smokin' deal on mine as a rehab and it was $350.

[/blockquote]

I would agree. I have the DeWalt 12" double bevel CMS, but in reality, the single bevel would have been fine. Heck I can count on one hand the amount of times I've beveled anything on it.

I believe I paid $399 for it several years ago. And now I've been seeing the 12" slider in HD for $399 lately.
I have the 10" Makita slider. If I ever replace it, it will be with an RAS. Even then, I won't get rid of it. Too handy. Extremely accurate.

I can tell you this: Only get a non slider if money is real tight. I have a 12 DeWalt CMS and it was accurate but it always seemed like it was just too short for many of the cross cuts I did. My 10" (note the smaller blade size) has rarely ever left me wanting more and then that was only a small enough bit that that a 12" would have gotten it. I think 12"s are usually 100 dollars more.

I bought this Makita used. I was specifically looking for the 10" model at the time. I got it for $300. Pretty good deal 3 years ago. I searched for over a year to find one used though.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
I have a 12" Dewalt 705 CMS I purchased 10+ years ago and have nothing but good things to say about it. When I was in the market for a sider a few years ago, did the research at the time, and chose the Milwaukee 12" SCMS. It has been a very stellar performer with excellent ergonomic features.

Would not hesitate to buy either again.

Doug
10" Makita slider. Bought it several years ago for about $400. Very, very accurate. Cuts a 12"wide board. Would buy it again.

Lonnie
I also like the 12 inch slider DeWalt. I did put a Freud blade on it, didn't even try the factory blade. Perfect alignment out of the box. Many adjustmnents if it isn't aligned.
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
If I were getting a slider (which I toy with the idea every now and again) I would probably go with the Bosch for space savings.

If just a regular miter I really don't think there's a whole lot of difference between many of them. They're pretty simple machines. I've been happy with my 12" Ridgid for probably a decade now. Not sure if they even still make it. Laser is useless as ***** on a boar hog but the saw has been solid. Unless you're going with a slider 10" is too small for much except molding. There's been many times I've wished for a slider as my saw wouldn't cut the whole way through but for one reason or another other tools keep getting the upgrade dollars.
-Marc