Mitre Saw Recommendation
FYI, I saw the Bosch 12" glide at Home Depot in the clearance rack for $555 the other day. If I didn't already have one, I would have bought it.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
OK, I'll be a contrarian. If you want a miter saw for the shop only, why not get an old Dewalt RAS instead? You'll get a much more versatile machine with much higher capacity and that is equal or better in accuracy for half the price of good miter saw. A RAS doesn't take up much more space than a big sliding miter saw either. With either, however, you need to build them into a work station to get the most out of them, so size of the machine becomes even less important as to which to buy.

John
Get all of them and take back the ones you do not like. Heck women do it all the time why not us.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I hear good thing 'bout the Makita and the Bosch "knuckle" joint SCMS.

But how is the dust collection??
Frequent enough asked question around here. Fact of it is, none of them are fine woodworking machines, nor were they designed to be. They chop off the ends for rough cuts, and any of those talked about will do a fine job of it. Look for the one with as big a capacity as you feel you will use on a regular basis, and then the lowest price of ownership, and you will have made the best pick. That would include Johns choice of a good RAS, which of all the choices could actually be set up to deliver repeatable accuracy.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Just out of curiosity I looked at the local craigslist and found several DeWalt RAS $100–$150 and a #3561 industrial model for ~$600 (is this reasonable?).

I'm a little leery of RAS as the first call I had as an EMT was when a neighbor cut his arm off with one.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Fred is the library of RAS values. I just know the 50's 60's round tubers seem to be in the ok category, and the square beam ones not so much. Like any power tool there are do's and don'ts. For CC I have heard only problems with users having the piece to be cut off the fence, same as with a chop saw. I think the big bogey man is doing rip cuts on a RAS. Some act like it's no big deal, others won't, no matter the circumstance. Again, what you are comfortable with, and using a procedure that is proven as smart will dictate how much risk is involved.

This is the manual for a still sold Craftsman RAS I am not suggestions this as a saw to buy. Simply showing it as an example, that even in today's litigious society they are saying if done correctly a rip cut is safe.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I too like my Dewalt Slide (I have a 717 10") with the LED over blade light creating a shadow blade line that never needs adjusted.

If you are wanting "portable" I like the Bosch T4B stand.

My perm shop/bench mounted one is a Hitachi C12LSH that has the small footprint design. Nothing wrong with it either.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I spent a lot of money on a 12" DBCMS equipped with a premium blade and portable saw station that I find to be relatively poor for high-value work. There is just too much blade deflection for accuracy and feel it's better suited for construction work rather than fine quality cabinetry. A shop made table saw miter sled is so much better at cutting accurate miters than any sliding or fixed head miter saw could ever dream to be. I would build the best one possible and see how it improves your work before making the investment and being disappointed.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I cannot comment on the Festool and the new configuration Bosch sliding compound miter; however, among the common 12" compound sliding saws, I have both the DeWalt and the Bosch in 2 separate shops. I highly prefer the Bosch. Much easier to set up in any direction, smoother operating.