Best shoulder plane on a limited budget?
EricU said:

can always just make one. On a more serious note, I cut this down from a scan of a Norris(? I think) that someone made me. They recommended that I cut it down to about 3/4 or 2/3 of the original size, so that's what I did. Glad, because it's still really big and has some heft. I wish I had the original scan, but it's lost. Took this picture before I opened up the mouth.

Very nice. Just curious -- why such a low bed angle?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I guess the first question I would ask is: What are you going to do with it? Seems like many folks use shoulder planes for tasks other than sweetening up shoulders, which, AFAIK, is the task the tool was intended for. If that is what you had in mind, then the small LN fits the bill perfectly. I have all three sizes of the LN and the one that gets used the most is the small.
Aram said:

Very nice. Just curious -- why such a low bed angle?

Thanks, I just copied the bed angle from the original. I have never used another shoulder plane. so I didn't really have another point of reference.

I've always wanted to make a thinner one, what is a typical bed angle?
A #78 and if you can wait until the end of the month I will send you one. It will have the blade but I do not remember if it is complete.

Let me know.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin Eastman said:

A #78 and if you can wait until the end of the month I will send you one. It will have the blade but I do not remember if it is complete.

Let me know.

Arlin

That is incredibly generous Arlin and I would be honored to take you up on your offer! Will send you a PM.
SteveL in St. Louis

<<...But, Darwinism has proven that any "person-proof" items simply muster the creative juices of the 'person' pool....>>> orig. posted by MichaelS on 8/14/06
Pm answered and will be sending it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
A 78 is a rabbeting plane, not a shoulder plane.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Yes, but it will work on shoulders as well. May also provide some inspiration for making a true shoulder plane.
SteveL in St. Louis

<<...But, Darwinism has proven that any "person-proof" items simply muster the creative juices of the 'person' pool....>>> orig. posted by MichaelS on 8/14/06
lil

IE: "Re: Best shoulder plane on a limited budget?"

I understand cost being a factor in so many decisions, especially about tools. That said with age has come the wisdom, at least for my $$$$ that I am just buying once if it is an item I expect to use with any frequency. I also am going to buy well, at least the best bang for the buck. So my vote here is save your pennies, and buy the Lee Valley shoulder plane that tickles you the most. You will do several things at once.

1) Buy your last shoulder plane of that size, because you now have the best, and one that will be used in a lot of work

2) save money, sounds silly on the face of it. I bought my LV Shoulder last year, AFTER I sold off all the POS shoulders I had accumulated in 50 years of playing with mostly junk. Even though they were al junk, it netted me enough $$$$ to have bought 4 LV shoulder planes. I must add none of the junk ever could do in hours, what that LV can do in seconds.

3) Time is indeed $$$$ and after you have lived a few years this will be more apparent. Spend a little $$$ so that you can save so much time.

All that said, if it is an item you plan to use just once, or scarcely, go to Horrible Fright and spend away
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Quote:

ou could make one, as MauleSkinner suggests, but before you go down that road, consider the investment in specialized floats, etc. shown in the background of the photo of his nice plane. Making one might be fun, but probably wouldn’t help the budget much.

Don't think I used the floats much on this one...they're just in the photo for effect.

SteveL said:

Thanks for the quick replies. Had not thought about making one and if I decide to go that route, what bed angle would be best for the most versital use?

I think mine is at 35 degrees, bevel down. It's worked well for me.

Looks like you've got a plan though...good luck!
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp