7 ft bench build
This is a project I started on thanksgiving week. I have been thinking about this bench for years but a new friend of mine supplied some outstanding red elm lumber that allowed me to make it happen. I did not stick to a specific style or type of bench, but rather incorporated all the options I wanted in a bench. Split top for ease of building (and planing), Jorgenson front vise (its one of the best vises I have used), wagon end vise, square dogs, 1 holdfast hole. The top is 2 5/8” red elm with 4” aprons. The base is rough cut pine landscape timbers from Menards which I planed down to some nice 5.25” square material.

Here is what we started with

One day this will be yours son

Stretchers

1 1/8” aluminum for the take down connections

Mortised in steel plate and a ½” bolt going through to the tapped aluminum

This creates an incredibly strong joint.
I used some pine boards for a shelf.

Router template for the dogs

Notice my shim to correct a sloppy dovetail….There are a few mistakes on the bench…but not too may!

That wagon vise works great.

I only glued the spacer strip to the left side.

Looking like a bench.

One coat of red, then a coat of white milk paint. Wax top coat.

Carved in the year

Call that project complete

Looks great. Thanks for sharing
Very, very nice. That beast will be a joy to use.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Looks good! I think those joints are strong enough. Have you made the elm top already, or is that planned?

One holdfast hole is a start, but they are easy to add if you decide you want more. You may also want some holdfast/peg holes in the apron.

I also made a similar bench with square dog holes and some extra round ones for holdfasts. I did that because I don't like to drop little things through the holes, and it's easy to make enough square dogs to fill all the holes. Holdfasts work OK in the square holes.

Edit: I apparently caught you part way through your posting. Top looks great.
Wow! Love that elm top.. Thanks for posting. I'm thinking on using landscape timbers, but they're very warped and bowed locally. Are those pressure treated?
[Image: 19883933659_baf12312a0_z.jpg]
End result is stunning.
Thanks for sharing!!
Ag