Suggestions on how to hang a 4 foot LED light that I can raise & lower
Helping my mom (87 years old) out here.

I need ideas on how to mount a 4 foot LED strip light so she can raise & lower it. It needs to be hung from both ends (not only from the center) because it is too long (needs to have 2 mounting points).

Want to be able to raise & lower it kind of like mini blinds.

I'll be hanging it from an 8' ceiling in a bedroom, now a sewing room. She's a quilter.

The idea is to raise it for ambient light, lower it for task lighting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

And it doesn't have to be pretty, just needs to work.......

chris.
my first thought....

bicycle lift

$10. I have one of my kids mountain bikes hanging from one...the bike is proly 30 pounds.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

that may work. Price is certainly right!!

I found this on Amazon, I'd have to buy the pulleys to do it, it would prolly cost 2x to 3x of what you suggested.

That fixture is what I was going to suggest. Don't know of any other easy way to do it.
does that bike lift work? I had one in my old shop for a ladder. it didn't work all that well.
Ok, how about two separate lights--one high and one low--on two separate switches unless at the low setting she'd be apt to run into it.
I have a bike lift like that and it works great. Ugly, but it works great.

John
would it be possible to attach the lights to a 4' mini blind?
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
yes. just don't pull the bike all tthe up. you nee a little room at the top to get it to release when you want to get the bike down

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Well, here's what I decided to do.

Going to hang the light from the ceiling with two chains, allowing the light to rest at "task" level. Will then place two hooks at the ceiling near each original anchor point. When the light needs to be raised, I can hook the excess chain on the 2nd hook for more ambient light.

My idea is not ideal, the bike storage hardware is too "heavy" looking for the sewing room. I went to HF this am, looked at it (even bought it) but decided against it. Designing a system using pulleys and a weight makes my head hurt and I get sleepy, though that pic with the 3 lights does look cool.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated!!! Now, back to the basement.