Making fishing Lures
Has anyone made them or have resources to buy the hardware that goes with it?

A while back I had some Relatives ask me if I could make some Bass, Musky, Northern, Croppy, and pan fish lures and I said I would check into it. Well now I am checking into it.

Any and All info with Links is very much welcome.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Google the following - lots of hits:

"turning fishing lures"

"homemade fishing lures"

"homemade fishing lure supplies"

Have fun!
"Don't force it - get a bigger hammer!"
Arlin, make sure to post pics.
A youtube search for wood fishing lures brings up more than a few

wood fishng lures
Steve K

Arlin
It pains me to say it but Penn State used to carry the kits and plans, not sure if they still do. You can check on line.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
You really like taking on projects Arlin. Lure making , even those made on the lathe is an extensive hobby all by itself. I fooled around years ago with the PSI kits. It was fun but there is a lot to learn in making a plug that will run correctly. Probably best if you make a few and then can test them out yourself . Personally I'll stick to fly fishing.

You can find parts online through places like Jann's Netcraft and Lure parts online dot com

How to Make a Wooden Lure on a Lathe

This guy has a few vids on turned lures

Wood Muskie Lure Making Part 1

Another place online to get info would be Stripers Online on the lure making forum. You need to sign up for the forums just like you did here to view everything but these guys really get into making plugs.

Remember it's Stripers not Strippers or the wife may wonder just what you're up to .

Stripers Online Lure building forum
I know the voices aren't real but man do they have some great ideas !

People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet
Thanks guys for the links, encouragement too.

It seems that is a lot going on in the lure making world.

Mel

Now that you mentioned it I do remember it and it must have been 3 or 4 years ago. I will check it out and see what they have.

I do have a Lure making book called "Making Wooden Fishing Lures by Rich Rousseau" that I got at the half price book store just after they asked and I found it last night.

I will take pictures in action and when it is done.

Also the links are just great and you guys saved me a ton of time looking it up and it does take me a while to do it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Brian

I feel I will never get better or grow in turning if I do not challenge myself and try harder or different things.

I have also been trying like they do in Europe to learn how use one tool and everything it can do. You will be amazed at what just one Bowl gouge or Spindle gouge can do. I am going to try learning everything a Skew can do in a few months than a Scrapper.

I feel if I know everything each tool can do it will make me a better turner also.

Arlin

Should be a fun challenge. I want to see what you come up with.
Rodney
I got into turning specifically for lures to begin with. Musky and bass size. Tackleunderground and stripersonline.com are superb places to find info. Lure parts can be found from a variety of sources. There is a real science to selecting wood species depending on the action or bait type one wants. Sealing is a challenge too. The reward of catching big fish with one's creation is amazing. What species of fish do you wish to target?

Pat