semi-automatic trash drawer
I'm just finishing up a kitchen with an 18" wide trash drawer. The H.O. would like a way to open it when her hands are full and/ dirty. I've checked the web for "push latches", but I'm not sure they would open the drawer enough to be useful. I thought of tilting the side mounted drawer slides to make it self-opening, but have not verified if there is enough clearance to accommodate the additional height required. I guess I'm looking for any suggestions to do this in a relatively simple manner, and also any reports (both good and bad) of hardware or systems you've used.

Thanks in advance for all responses; perhaps together we can come up with an easy retro-fit.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Video shows a lot of up and down, but I wouldn't think it difficult to make it in and out.

CONTACT US

DISTRIBUTION CENTRE
120-11300 No. 5 Road
Richmond, BC
V7A 5J7, Canada
MAILING AND BILLING ADDRESS

11388 Steveston Hwy
PO Box 96007
Richmond, BC
V7A 5J5, Canada
TOLL FREE: 1-800-676-6123
TOLL FREE Fax: 1-888-812-4189
Email: sales@progressiveautomations.com

Hands free is the future, I'm sure there are plenty of other outlets. Google with: actuated furniture, actuated cabinets, hands free drawer opening, etc.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Amazon, says is for trash/waste systems. First pic looks like a trash can cabinet, foot operated.

GW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTviKmldpP0

GW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO1SbtIlEh8

GW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03SZ6NW8I5s

GW
Blum makes a push to open servo drive. Just bump it with your knee and it opened right up. I put one in our kitchen when I built the cabinets for my house. The wife loves it. When I bought mine the whole set up to include the Blum soft close slides and servo drive was less than $100. I think the price has shot up though which is odd considering I just bought it a few months ago. Maybe I got lucky and lucked out on a pricing error.
A company called King Slides out of Korea (IIRC) makes a soft close/soft open drawer slide. Press on the drawer front, it opens, press to close softly.

Rockler was selling them, don't know if they still are.

Here you go

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Consider this a bump, I am also interested in this. Even a pedal that I could activate with my foot would be good enough for me. After we get this solved, let's work on an exterior door. maybe lever action would work.
My friend put a bunch of servo drives in his cabinets that we just installed and he loves them. They are now so not 100% certain how the durability will be in 2-5-10-15-20 years.