More basket weave info.
I didn't want to hijack the other thread. Here is the info I said I would look up concerning carving and burning. It may even be relevant to those asking about dyes.
The magazine is woodturning design, summer 2008 issue 18. The turner is Douglas Mooney. I cant find much on him but the article does mention David Nittman. All I can say about his work is wow. Here is a link to his work. David Nittman

to Wet your appetites.
I did notice his work before he died in the Woodturning design magazine and it always liked like he beaded the whole front and then sectioned off everything and colored the spaces as he chose.

I always wanted to do that someday.

Thank you for showing us.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Angus

Gwinnet Woodworkers has a pretty demo of the technique being done on a platter. The artist is Harvey Meyer. The effect is pretty amazing.

Basket weave illusion platter

Steve K

Watch and listen to Harvey in that video. He addresses the myth that David Nittman started that kind of work, and he rightfully recognizes Jim Adkins from Missouri as the master. I agree 110%.
I don't know anything about Nittman. In the article they did mention that Nittman didn't share his methods with anyone. It read like the author was taking a shot at him for it.
I did some digging after watching the very cool video, thinking I might want to give this a whirl.

I found very few sources of this type of beading tool, and none in Canada. It seems most places sell another type of beading tool. The one source I did find was D-way , where many of us have bought CBN wheels.

LV does not carry this type of tool. If someone knows of a Canadian source please advise. I prefer to stay away from ridiculous shipping costs.

RDW
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/
Rich, admittedly my experience in these turning is limited. On a lot of these turning it seems the beading gets smaller the closer to the center of the turning you go. With the type of tool you linked to the beading would have to stay the same size unless you had multiple tools. Even then the size change would be abrupt rather than graduated. Would something like this be a better choice?
web page
Sorry, I'm zero help on Canadian sources.
Rich

I have heard and seen the results of this. The individual had taken three sizes of spindle gauges and put them on the grinder so only the flute on top shows so that means grinding the tip with the flute face up. Then you can get a beading tool. If you grind the sides you will get a smaller beading tool.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Wish I could figure out how to get pictures on here. I'd like to show some of Jim Adkins work and some of mine too.
Basket Illusion class, John C Campbell fudge school
Steve K