really hard red oak
I bought some 1" x 2" nominal red oak from Home Depot the other day to use for face frames which I pocket screw for assembly.

One of the pieces was a darker color than I am accustomed to seeing and had a black vein running through it. I was nearly impossible to drill the pocket holes into it and when I tried to drive the screws (genuine Kreg screws) my drill first stalled and then the wood split open.

I made new pieces from another section of material and no problems at all.

Has anyone ever seen red oak that was exceptionally hard, dark and with black veins?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It could have mineral streaks in it.
It could be case hardened from the kiln drying.
With an oddball darker color, I wouldn't have used it on a face frame with the other lighter wood.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Stwood_ said:

With an oddball darker color, I wouldn't have used it on a face frame with the other lighter wood.

I would not have either but I am painting my old oak kitchen cabinets, and I was making a filler shelf to go with it. So I wanted the oak grain, not the oak color so it would match the re-finished cabinets.
That reminds me of pin oak heartwood. It's so dense that even when dry it may not float in water.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
Edwin Hackleman said:

That reminds me of pin oak heartwood. It's so dense that even when dry it may not float in water.

When I get home tonight I will cut off a piece and see if it floats.
I don't know of any oak that sinks in water after it's been dried. Nor any native wood, for that matter. Link And a link specifically to Pin Oak

John
jteneyck said:

I don't know of any oak that sinks in water after it's been dried. Nor any native wood, for that matter. Link And a link specifically to Pin Oak

John

If the specific gravity is greater than 1.00 it is supposed to sink. There were 3 or 4 on that list that tipped over that number, but oak was not on that short list. Hickory is over 1.00 and it is a wood workers species. The others I am not familiar with.
Stwood_ said:

Mineral stain - normally calcium oxalate (kidney stones!) can dull edge tools, so it might be the culprit.

Case hardening probably won't do that. Does the stuff pinch the riving knife or spread as you rip? Two of the most obvious indications that case-hardening hasn't been properly relieved in the kiln.

The oxalates tend to accumulate in areas under limbs and places where circulation is pinched to a crawl.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Cooler said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

John

If the specific gravity is greater than 1.00 it is supposed to sink. There were 3 or 4 on that list that tipped over that number, but oak was not on that short list. Hickory is over 1.00 and it is a wood workers species. The others I am not familiar with.

[/blockquote]

You are looking in wrong column. The left column is green wood. Look in the right hand column for dry wood. No native wood exceeds 1.0 s g. after drying. Darned few woods from anywhere do.

John
Cooler said:

I bought some 1" x 2" nominal red oak from Home Depot the other day to use for face frames which I pocket screw for assembly.

One of the pieces was a darker color than I am accustomed to seeing and had a black vein running through it. I was nearly impossible to drill the pocket holes into it and when I tried to drive the screws (genuine Kreg screws) my drill first stalled and then the wood split open.

I made new pieces from another section of material and no problems at all.

Has anyone ever seen red oak that was exceptionally hard, dark and with black veins?

Yes, I have seen this. There are a lot of pin oak trees on my property and certain parts of the crotch or knots are extremely hard and have even broken a chainsaw chain before. They burn long and hot too.

That said, what I have noticed is that it happens when the tree grows at an odd angle (like 90 degrees). I'm not familiar but I would think that those trees wouldn't end up getting milled like that. They also have extremely dense grain (visibly dense, not like any other red oak).