LED Light Fixtures
I saw some LED fixtures at HD the other day for 15 bucks or so. They don't have removable bulbs - when the LED dies you replace the fixture. I am creating storage space behind the kneewalls upstairs and want to light it. The advantage to the fixtures is lower profile with limited headroom, and you aren't hitting the bulbs that are sticking out of the cheap ceramic bulb holders. At our old house it got to the point that I left a spare bulb in the attic for when (not if) we broke the bulb. Any downside to the LED fixtures other than they cost 3x as much as the ceramic holder and a standard bulb?
I used an LED rope light in the storage area under our stairs. Never break a bulb, heck you never get near the thing. Lights up the whole area and was very easy to simply clip up along the "ceiling." Cheap too.

Just a thought.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I lit our pantry with strings of LED at about $1 per foot on Amazon they are great for lighting small spaces. 12v wall wart will power 10 feet, probably quite a bit more.

They don't put out enough to light a big space.
I've got to light about 15' on one side and 20' or so on the other. It's behind the kneewall under the roof, so on the high side its about 5' high. Would rope lights put out enough light?
the led Can light replacements go into junction boxes and are far thinner than a regular incandescent bulb. Might be more money than you want to spend
They put out plenty of light for our storage area. Is the area finished? Should have asked before.
Mine is sheetrocked and painted off white. Plenty of light
for moving around totes full of Christmas decorations, etc.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
No the area isn't finished. It's the area behind the kneewall. I guess I can try the rope lights, if they don't work I can do something else.
crokett™ said:

Any downside to the LED fixtures other than they cost 3x as much as the ceramic holder and a standard bulb?

Not enough heat generated to keep the chickens warm or the pump from freezing. (In those climates where that matters)
EricU said:

the led Can light replacements go into junction boxes and are far thinner than a regular incandescent bulb. Might be more money than you want to spend

Where are you finding them. The lighting supplier hasn't seen them and hd and lowes don't show them in store. HD shows two but not in store or available to order. The only ones I have seen available are the ones direct from china.
Not exactly the same thing you're looking at, but I got this from Home Depot Spring 2015 and it's already acting up on me.
The light flickers and just goes out for a while.
It will turn back on again in a day or so and work for a while and then act up again.
I will be returning it soon.

LED LIGHT linky
Ray