wood holding problem: tapered legs
I made some tapered octagonal legs over the weekend. My bench has a face vise but no end vise, and I had a tough time holding the legs to plane them from four-sided to eight-sided, which involves planing down the corners to flats. Any suggestions on how to do it?
Could you use a pipe clamp to hold your leg and then put your pipe clamp in a vise ?
I had the same problem, but I had a psuedo-tail vise-

a Lee Valley Inset Vise.

I made a V-block to support the leg while I planed the upper face -

You could probably do the same without the tail vise, but with a bit more frustration by just planing against a stop.
I use one of the rectangular aluminum clamps held in my bench vise. Certainly the pipe clamp works but the rectangular body is less prone to twisting in the bench vise I think. This technique makes it easy to turn the leg to the exact position you need for hand work.
Make a V block and then you can do it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Here's a vise I use for odd shaped holding... Both jaws will swivel.

Can be purchased here... Vise with swivel jaws.

Stew Mac is a great company to do business with. When I bought mine, it arrived damaged. When contacting them, they immediately sent me a replacement, no questions asked and included an authorization to return the damaged one. No cost for shipping.

I use the vise for so many things. It's not made in the USA and is not precision made. I did some work to it to make the parts less loose fitting. I really like the round crank handle and how easy it is to rotate it as it is mounted to my bench. You could mount it to a thick board and clamp the board in your bench vise so you can adjust the height. The jaws are padded with a layer of polyurethane that is a little flexible so as to not make marks on your work piece.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
Excellent suggestions all. Thanks.
This concept will help with almost any extra workholding you need done.

Dennis Puskar said:

Could you use a pipe clamp to hold your leg and then put your pipe clamp in a vise ?

Similar to this?

Bob

"A dull mind uses dull tools" - my Uncle Jim RIP
rjdankert said:

[blockquote]Dennis Puskar said:

Similar to this?

[/blockquote]

Sure, but using the face vise would eliminate the need for the wooden clamp and the C clamp... But same concept. It's a game changer in my opinion...