Raising/lowering things with pullieys
A thread on raising and lowering a light with pulleys, brought back a memory.
At a yard sale years ago, I saw a model train setup,in a 2 car garage.
It took up at least 1/2 the garage.
It was rigged with a bunch of pulleys, and wire cable. The different cables were tied together at different points, a few times, and the resulting single cable ran down the wall to a hand operated winch.
Very cool!
If not using a winch, remember that a larger diameter pulley, makes pulling a lot easier.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Pirate said:

. . . the resulting single cable ran down the wall to a hand operated winch.
Very cool!
If not using a winch, remember that a larger diameter pulley, makes pulling a lot easier.

And also remember to use a brake winch, not a simple ratcheting 'pulling' winch, like on a boat trailer. Otherwise, if you lose the handle, the load comes down fast. If you try to stop it, it'll break some knuckles or worse. A brake winch will hold the load, and crank up (through a ratchet), or down (driving through the load brake), and stop wherever you stop with no other action required on your part.

Just sayin'.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"

I put one of these in my pole barn.... I use it all of the time, skinning deer, lifting mower to change blades or clean the deck, lifting heavy loads off a truck or trailer. Less than $200, I've definately got my money's worth.
Yes

Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

CLETUS said:

I put one of these in my pole barn.... I use it all of the time, skinning deer, lifting mower to change blades or clean the deck, lifting heavy loads off a truck or trailer. Less than $200, I've definately got my money's worth.

I used to have a pair of those hoists. I used them to lift sheathed walls up to 60'-0" long and as high as 12'-0".I made two A-frames that hinged to the deck,the hoist was mounted about 3'-0" high on the A-frame.The line ran over a pulley at the top.One man could easily lift a wall by himself,My hoists were the 440/880 lb lift type. Most of the time I only lifted with a single line ,440lb capacity.

mike

"If not using a winch, remember that a larger diameter pulley, makes pulling a lot easier".

Depends on where the bigger pulley is.
My Ford 1966 F800 flat bed dump truck had a bed that would touch the ground in dump position. The bed was at about a ~60 degree angle at that point. To load my F 9N tractor to take it from one wood lot to another I would loop a chain through two pocket in the front of the bed and onto the frame. Attach a come-a-long and raise the bed up until it touched the ground. Then I would winch the tractor up onto the bed by the drawbar hitch on the tractor.

I learned the hard way to not let the bed all the way down when the front of the truck was lower than the back. The tractor freewheeled (in neutral) and slammed into the front of the bed and almost drove it into the back of the cab of the truck. To me.
I want to run my model trains, but I have too much stuff in the basement. Right now, I'm thinking attic. But I also have thought about having track very near the ceiling. Not sure I would want an elaborate thing that had to be raised and lowered, and the garage has a shop in it right now
This guy did something similar to store his utility trailer

web page

His web site has details on the pulley system PANOFISH

Mike
EricU said:

I want to run my model trains, but I have too much stuff in the basement. Right now, I'm thinking attic. But I also have thought about having track very near the ceiling. Not sure I would want an elaborate thing that had to be raised and lowered, and the garage has a shop in it right now

Shelves on the walls, wide enough for double tracks, wider to allow sidings, all around the room, wider at the corners for turns and switching, and maybe a reversing loop. Might need quite a grade to get over the door, or a hinged section that swings up to allow entrance/egress to the room.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
A buddy of mine had a similar (smaller) setup in his basement when we were kids. Whole table lifted up to the ceiling.
Benny