Making a hollow channel in a bent lamination?
I want to make a bent laminated floor lamp but need to create a channel for the wiring. I've done bent laminations before but not like this.

One guy online made the solid lamination, then cut it down the middle into two mirror images, routed a groove in each half, then glued it back together. Doesn't seem very elegant.

I was thinking I'd form the channel during the glue up by sandwiching lamp chord between the layers or by sandwiching a hollow tube--maybe PTFE like used for the ice maker line--and then feeding thin wire through later. Although the lamp chord route would be done after glueup, trimming the ends may be trickier. However, the tube route would mean I'd have to use some relatively small diameter wire which might not be sufficient for the lighting. I'm thinking LED lights.

What method do you suggest?

Thanks
Paul
What size trunk are you thinking about?
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
John Mihich said:

What size trunk are you thinking about?

I'm thinking about 1" thick by 1 1/2" wide--or thereabouts. Probably 7' tall with a 3' diameter arc. I'm actually envisioning something with 3 identical laminations all terminating in one base.
Here's something I did. Not a lamp but just an idea. The center is hollow with 3 blocks where the legs are attached.

John

We need to clean house.
[blockquote]John Mihich said:

Here's something I did. Not a lamp but just an idea. The center is hollow with 3 blocks where the legs are attached. [\quote]

Now imagine that you want to have a lamp at the end of each of those 4 legs and you want to run a wire through a hollow channel in each of those legs. How would you go about it?
I would leave of the top or bottom ply. After glue-up. route a channel in the face then glue on the last ply and trim to match the previous plys.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Splinter Puller said:

I would leave of the top or bottom ply. After glue-up. route a channel in the face then glue on the last ply and trim to match the previous plys.

Thanks! That's an excellent idea!
I think splinter's idea would work.
John

We need to clean house.
Doesn't have to be the last one, does it?
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
With the coat stand I made I think I have 6 layers. Depending on how big you want the groove you can do the groove after the third one cutting into 2 layers. I know if I was to make it i would put a wire or something in the groove before I glued on the last group of laminates. Whatever I put it there glue can't stick to it.
John

We need to clean house.