Name badge wall holders for Unitarian Fellowship - take a look!
Well after two years, I've gotten back into my woodworking hobby (had a left thumb cyst removed and the nerve took nearly a year to heal - mentioned previously) - so have completed several projects, the main one was to build two additional name badge wall holders for our local Unitarian Fellowship - made of oak and contains 8 tiers each of about 16" horizontal holders - finished w/ spray shellac as a sealer coat followed by spray lacquer. Added top semi-lunar adornments (glued up walnut & oak) to distract from the rectangular appearance - will be taking the project in tomorrow - below added pics of my original larger single name badge holder - SO, should look kind of like a triptych (from my art history days as an undergrad, I guess) - nothing special but glad to be in the workshop again! Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
Very nice work, I'm sure you enjoyed the project after such a long layoff, and I especially appreciate the touch of walnut to break it up visually.

On a side note, it's interesting in my experience that at least here in the US (and I suspect elsewhere, UK, other places) that the wood of choice for church furniture is heavily skewed to oak, and I've always wondered why and if there was some sort of scriptural connection.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
At least here - midwest and east - oak is very very common and cheaper than all the other woods. I believe oak is also very common in the UK. Pine was used a lot in some areas.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Thanks Guys for the comments - installed the two side holders yesterday on the wall - but forgot to bring my camera - will post a pic later.

Concerning the 'oak' question, I guess that availability would be a major consideration - for me in Piedmont North Carolina, I usually order my 'hard woods' from Steve Wall Lumber (in Mayodan, NC, about 2 hrs north of me) in 20 BF bundles - the prices of these bundles for various woods is shown below - not huge differences for the common species (I typically use red oak, cherry, walnut, & mahogany). Dave

Piedmont North Carolina
+1000 on Steve Wall. I used to get my wood from him when I lived in Charlotte; I still have relatives there and perhaps the next trip down I'll take my truck and bring back a load.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral said:

+1000 on Steve Wall. I used to get my wood from him when I lived in Charlotte; I still have relatives there and perhaps the next trip down I'll take my truck and bring back a load.

I’ve not put in an order there for a few years - need to come up w/ some more projects!

BTW, last week I helped to install the new ‘wings’ at the Unitarian Fellowship - looks like the additions were needed w/ the name badges added - received a lot of compliments. Dave

Piedmont North Carolina
Looks fantastic. Like all 3 pieces have been there from the beginning. Well done.
JokerRN said:

Looks fantastic. Like all 3 pieces have been there from the beginning. Well done.

THANKS! Adding those two top semi-circular 'adornments' ties in nicely to the chalice - been receiving a lot of compliments from the members of the fellowship and the staff loves the additional badge space! Dave
Piedmont North Carolina